Cowgirls seek to avenge tie against Marauders

Sydney Araujo
Flower Mound defends Coppell junior midfielder Summer Chen at Buddy Echols Field on Feb. 9. The Cowgirls host Flower Mound Marcus on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in their second meeting.

As the Coppell girls soccer team continues in the second round of District 6-6A play, the next match is against Flower Mound Marcus. After tying 1-1 with the Marauders on Jan. 30, Coppell looks to end the district series against Marcus with a win. 

Flower Mound defends Coppell junior midfielder Summer Chen at Buddy Echols Field on Feb. 9. The Cowgirls host Flower Mound Marcus on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in their second meeting.Coppell (13-3-2 overall, 6-2-1 in District 6-6A) hosts Marcus (10-5-3, 4-3-2) tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field. 

“It’s a big matchup,” Coppell senior defender Lauren Monroe said. “We’re looking to take those points at home and build confidence going into playing Flower Mound and Hebron.” 

Heading into the match, the Cowgirls are on a three-match win streak, with their most recent victory against Lewisville on Friday. However, according to Monroe, the team had too many turnovers and giveaways throughout the game. 

“If you ask anyone on the team, they would probably say it’s one of the worst games of soccer we’ve played all year,” Monroe said. “Comparatively to how we usually score against Lewisville and how other teams play them, 3-0 is not the result we were looking for, but it’s something we’re going to hopefully learn from.”

Marcus enters off a 3-1 loss to Flower Mound. The Cowgirls are in third place, one point behind Hebron and five points ahead of Marcus in District 6-6A.

However, more than district points may be on the line. 

“There has always been a bit of a rivalry with Marcus for girls soccer,” Monroe said. “We had that tied game last time so we want to take the win and cash out what we put in.”

According to Monroe, Marcus sends long passes down the field then uses its players athleticism and speed to outmaneuver its opponents, vastly different from Coppell’s possession-based style of play. In practice, the Cowgirls have been focusing on delayed defense to slow down their attacks and finishing its scoring opportunities. 

“The season is starting to wind down so we need to remind ourselves that we play this sport, because we love it, our people and our city,” Monroe said. “So I want us to bring pride to Buddy Echols, the team and work hard for each other, because it is personal.”

Follow Ava (@avakjohnson4) and @SidekickSports on X.