Local politics needs more attention

Coppell Town Center holds the 2024 Dallas County primary elections on Tuesday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. The Sidekick staff writer Yug Talukdar thinks people should focus more on local politics in order to improve their communities.
Aliza Abidi

“Why are there so many potholes on this road?”

“Why did they start building a new rail line?”

“When is this traffic light going to be fixed?”

These day-to-day issues are noticed by everyone and widely present in conversation, yet most people cease to act on them as people tend to focus on larger scale political issues.

It is not that participating in higher level politics is problematic, but in a nation that is more interconnected than ever through media and technology, it is often easy to get swept up in the grander picture, forgetting about the people and issues that most directly affect one’s life. 

Voter turnout in local elections is extremely low in the United States, which is puzzling given that these elections can possibly change many aspects of one’s local community, including public parks, roads and schools. It also has the potential to either increase or decrease taxes and determines how tax money is used.

These votes determine politicians and therefore enable their views to contribute to policies. This is what led to Texas school districts, such as Keller ISD banning more than 40 books from school libraries around the district, an event that sparked widespread controversy.

Furthermore, results from local legislation or projects can be seen quickly. For example, the process of rolling out new Coppell ISD iPads began right after the district’s 2023 bond package was approved by district voters. Then, within months, students at Coppell High School started receiving new generation 10 iPads, increasing their efficiency and academic experience.

Similarly, a city approval to build a new road might cause large amounts of traffic, affecting the commute of thousands in an area, many of whom were never aware of this change, or how it came about. By not knowing about this legislation, the people who may have possibly opposed it have a limited ability to show their view on a change that affects them daily.

A lack of participation in local politics may result in an unintentional suppression of certain perspectives, potentially leading to a legislation that is less representative of the community it serves.

The awareness of the community that comes with knowing politics at a local level can allow one to take action and bring up concerns, pressuring politicians to address these topics and change aspects of people’s lives that they interact with regularly. This crucial civic process enables people to solve community problems and quickly improve their quality of life.

The more people that are informed, the more light is shed on the uses of tax dollars, and there is more assurance that money and people’s time are being used in an efficient manner that helps lend progress to an area and pays the public back through infrastructure, education and recreation.

With elections in Coppell coming up on Tuesday, it is important that every citizen educates themselves and goes to vote in order to make their voice heard and accounted for in their community.

Follow Yug (@YugTalukdar) and @CHSCampusNews on X