Cowboys hoping for stellar performance against Plano

Kayla Nguyen
Coppell senior midfielder Anson Skorka hits a header against Hebron at Buddy Echols Field on Tuesday. The Cowboys play Plano on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. on Buddy Echols Field.

The Coppell boys soccer team has climbed to the top of District 6-6A standings, aided by its ability to seize possession of the ball and counterattack. 

The Cowboys hope to use their versatile lineup and tactics to take home another win against Plano on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field.

“We’re expecting them to be aggressive and to apply some pressure on our back line,” assistant Kyle Kelson said.

The Cowboys plan to push back against Plano’s presses through maintaining possession and making runs through an array of measures. This includes playing out from the back and scoring through set pieces, opportunities which have gotten the ball into the net before against Flower Mound, Flower Mound Marcus and Hebron.

“If we can really execute those set pieces, and score some goals off of open play too, we get three to four goals a game, which is really good,” Kelson said.

The Cowboys are further aided by their experienced lineup with an unwavering mentality, including seniors goalkeeper Jacob Campbell, midfielder Nathan Eppelman, forward Sam Stone and junior forward Luis Mendez. The team is also flexible with players like Mendez playing centrally or on the wings as needed, allowing coaches to implement a variety of formations and strategies.

“Another thing about this team is that a lot of these players are very versatile,” Kelson said, “We’re trying to get the best group that we can out on the field, and sometimes those positions change.”

With a unified and talented team, Coppell looks to remain atop the standings by taking full advantage of scoring chances and counter attacking fast.

Follow Yug (@YugTalukdar) and @CHSCampusNews on X.