Cowgirls fall to Hebron in final home game

Coppell+senior+guard+Ella+Spiller+drives+past+Hebron+senior+guard+Micah+Cooper+on+Tuesday+at+CHS+Arena.+The+Hawks+defeated+the+Cowgirls%2C+62-38.+
Rhea Chowdhary
Coppell senior guard Ella Spiller drives past Hebron senior guard Micah Cooper on Tuesday at CHS Arena. The Hawks defeated the Cowgirls, 62-38.

The Coppell girls basketball team walked onto its home court for the final time this season. 

On Tuesday, Hebron defeated Coppell, 62-38, at CHS Arena, remaining undefeated in District 6-6A. 

“It was almost like we played not to make a mistake and not to lose, but you can’t be successful that way,” Coppell coach Ryan Murphy said. 

Two minutes into the first quarter, both teams were tied 2-2, then Hebron senior guard Micah Cooper sank a 3-pointer, establishing a lead for the Lady Hawks that would endure throughout the night. 

Coppell started at a 13-point deficit at the beginning of the second quarter and by halftime the Lady Hawks led 35-9 over the Cowgirls. 

“We talked heavily about discipline,” Murphy said. “The better the team you play, the more disciplined you need to be.” 

The Cowgirls returned to the court but still trailed 53-25 behind Hebron by the end of the quarter. 

“This was good for us to have a wakeup call right before playoffs and not mentally take ourselves out of the game before the tip,” Murphy said. 

Following the game, Coppell is tied for second with Flower Mound once again.

“We need to treat it like a playoff game because it essentially is,” Murphy said. “We want to approach it that way so we can start mentally preparing for when we actually get into the playoffs because that’s the biggest thing we can take away from tonight. 

Follow Ava (@avakjohnson4) and @SidekickSports on X.