Coppell defense denies Marcus homecoming victory

Cowboys remain perfect on season
Marcus+senior+cornerback+Cameron+Canady+tackles+Coppell+senior+wide+receiver+Baron+Tipton.+Coppell+defeated+Marcus%2C+20-6%2C+on+Friday+night+at+Marcus+Marauder+Stadium.+
Wendy Le
Marcus senior cornerback Cameron Canady tackles Coppell senior wide receiver Baron Tipton. Coppell defeated Marcus, 20-6, on Friday night at Marcus Marauder Stadium.

FLOWER MOUND – On Friday night, the defensive line of the Coppell football team (6-0, 3-0 in District 6-6A) kept Flower Mound Marcus (2-4, 2-1) at bay, prohibiting it from scoring a single touchdown throughout the night.

The Cowboys defeated Marcus, 20-6, at Marcus Marauder Stadium in the lowest scoring game of both teams’ seasons.

“When things weren’t going well, we still found a way to push forward and win,” Coppell coach Antonio Wiley said. “Wins aren’t always going to be pretty, but the bottom line is we found a way to win a close one.”

Both teams struggled to establish a sizable lead in the first quarter, as neither team could effectively break through for a touchdown. 

It was not until halfway through the second quarter, at 6:24, when Coppell senior wide receiver Baron Tipton scored the first touchdown. 

Coppell junior quarterback Edward Griffin located Tipton making a run through the left corner of the end zone. Tipton leapt, stretching his arms, Marcus senior defensive back Cam Canady a mere millisecond away from defending the play.

With 1:34 remaining in the first half, Coppell senior wide receiver Ayrion Sneed received a pass from Griffin six yards away from the end zone, then turned to finish the play. Before Sneed even entered the end zone, Tipton’s arms flew up to indicate a touchdown. 

Sneed and Tipton’s touchdowns established a lead for the Cowboys that would last well into the fourth quarter. 

As the clock ticked down to 9:11 remaining, Coppell junior running back O’Marion Mbawke scored the final touchdown, locating a break through the Marauders’ defense. 

Throughout, Coppell’s defensive line deterred the Marauders from landing a single touchdown as Marcus recorded field goals in the first and fourth quarters.

“The defensive line is a unit,” Coppell senior defensive lineman Momeen Abbasher said. “We work hard every day in practice and knowing that in the past we’ve let up a lot of points, I’m just glad that we are working on it and moving on.”

Next Friday, Coppell faces Plano East for its homecoming game at 7 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field.

Follow Ava (@avakjohnson4) and @SidekickSports on X.