Cowboys upset district champion Farmers in style

Aliza Abidi
Cowboys running back Omarion Mbakwe makes a diving catch against Lewisville at Buddy Echols Field on Friday. Coppell won, 49-28, against the district champions.

Since 2013, Coppell has lost all five meetings against Lewisville.

The Cowboys battled the Farmers, ranked No. 24 in the state on Friday night at Buddy Echols Field, led by junior Quarterback Edward Griffin. The Cowboys won 49-28, maintaining their undefeated status. 

“I couldn’t be prouder of these guys,” Coppell coach Antonio Wiley said. “All practice we were preaching about physicality and these guys showed that they can play with physicality.”

The Farmers started red hot running 5 plays for 63 yards, ending the drive with a touchdown by 3 star running back Viron Ellison in a minute and 40 seconds. The Cowboys, knowing that they had to score to keep the game tight, quickly responded with a drive of their own spanning 13 plays and 75 yards in five minutes and eight seconds. The drive ended with an 11 yard touchdown reception by wide receiver Tucker Cusano tying the game 7-7. 

“They had momentum early,” Coppell assistant coach Zachery Gonzalez said. “I was never concerned about our offense. When you have Edward Griffin on your team it’s a whole other level of trust that you have.” 

After the first touchdown by Cusano, it was all Cowboys in the second. After another long drive by the Cowboys, 11 plays and 79 yards, it ended in three minutes and 32 seconds with Senior running back Xavier Mosely hurling over everyone to get into the endzone. 

Then, after a sack on Lewisville quarterback Ethan Terrell by junior safety Matthew Nietzel, the offense continued to fire. After another long drive, this one of 12 plays spanning 64 yards, junior running back Omarion Mbakwe ran the ball 32 yards and fumbled the ball in the end zone. David Richey, an offensive lineman, recovered the ball in the endzone for six.

Coppell marched 81 yards down the field, ending the drive with a Griffin sneak with 28 seconds on the clock, scoring in a minute and two seconds. 

“Our offense was playing really well today,” Coppell offensive coordinator Heath Naragon. “They played with maximum efficiency.” 

To start the second half, it was all Cowboys from the get-go. Junior safety Scott Fishpaw intercepted the ball and took it to Coppell’s 20-yard line. 

After a quick drive ending in a punt for the Cowboys, Lewisville trotted back on the field, trying to get momentum going. Pressured by the defensive line, Terrell threw the ball straight to Coppell junior safety Matthew Nietzel on the 10 yard line, who returned it for a pick six, putting Coppell up 35-7. 

“The game plan coming in was to stop the run and make them pass,” Nietzel said. “We executed the game plan and I feel great.”

The Farmers and Cowboys kept taking shots at each other throughout the third quarter. Two Lewisville touchdowns by Ellison and a scoring reception by Mosley from Griffin gave Coppell a 42-21 lead entering the fourth quarter.

“Everytime we needed our offense to respond they did,” Wiley said. “Even when they had a little momentum, our offense was able to shut it down.”

After a third touchdown by Mosley in the fourth quarter and Ellison responding with his fourth touchdown, the Cowboys secured a statement win over the Farmers. 

“We are going to enjoy this win and savor a huge victory,” Wiley said. “We have to remember to take it one game at a time and maintain our momentum going forward.”

Follow @namir_awan and  @CHSCampusNews on X