• Have a great summer, Coppell! Publishing resumes Aug. 14

Proving their status

Cowboys look to defeat reigning district champion Farmers
Ainsley Dwyer
Coppell senior wide receiver Baron Tipton catches a pass from junior quarterback Edward Griffin during the third quarter against South Grand Prairie at Gopher-Warrior Bowl on Friday 9/1. Coppell defeated the Warriors, 44-34. The Cowboys face Lewisville tomorrow at 7 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field in their second District 6-6A game of the season against the reigning district champions.

Last year’s district 6-6A champions, Lewisville Farmers, come to town to take on the Coppell football team who look to stay undefeated. 

In their second district game, Coppell faces Lewisville tomorrow at Buddy Echols Field at 7 p.m. 

“It’s going to be a tough matchup,” Coppell coach Antonio Wiley said. “If you want to prove that you are the best, you have to beat the best.” 

Wiley emphasized toughness this week in practice. 

“All week we have been focused on being physical,” Wiley said. “Matching their physicality, matching their intensity, being willing to get down to the point of attack is the only way we have a shot to win.”

According to Wiley, the game is not about redemption from last year’s loss, but an opportunity to put the Cowboys among one of the best teams in the state. 

“This will be the best team we will see,” Wiley said. “This will not be easy. They made the fourth round of the playoffs last year, and whether we get the job done or not will be up to us.”

A win would go a long way towards Coppell’s goal of winning the district championship and making a run for the state championship.

“We got to go out there and perform,” Wiley said. “This is the toughest team we will face, but we believe that we can be the first team to knock them off.”

Follow @namir_awan and  @CHSCampusNews on X