Showdown between Cowboys, Falcons canceled at halftime due to severe weather conditions

Kayla Nguyen
Coppell senior wide receiver Baron Tipton evades Keller Timber Creek defense at Buddy Echols Field on Friday. Friday night’s game against the Timber Creek falcons came to an abrupt end at halftime due to continuous lightning delays throughout the night; the game ended with Coppell up, 21-14

It is an extra patriotic night at Buddy Echols Field. Red, white, and blue is painted across the student section, colorful skin glimmering in the light. The crowd holds their hands to their chest, as U.S. Army Sergeant First Class Billy Bonner sings the national anthem with the Coppell Choir, shortly before the game begins—reminding everyone what nation that they are a part of.

Although this game between the Coppell Football Team and Keller Timber Creek was canceled after the second quarter due to dangerous weather conditions, it certainly wasn’t bland. The game ended with the Cowboys leading 21-14.

According to CISD girls athletic coordinator/athletic information specialist Dr. Roxanne Long, “We have a lightning meter and we have an app that tells us when lighting is too close to be safe, as soon as the lightning meter goes off, we have a 30-minute delay, but then if there’s more lightning within that 30 minutes another 30-minute day gets added.” 

If these delays make it so that the game resumes any later than 11:30 p.m., the game is canceled, which was the case during this game.

During the game, the Cowboys and the Falcons were scoring back and forth, with the Cowboys holding 7-point leads from touchdowns and the Falcons returning the fire. Both teams played extremely strong offensively, as five out of the seven possessions this game resulted in touchdowns

The Cowboys opened the game with possession, and they had energy. In the first play, they managed to drive down to the 50 yard-line with a 1st and 10, and within this possession, running back O’Marion Mbakwe broke through the Falcons’ defense, giving the Cowboys a 7-0 lead. 

The Falcons fired back, with wide receiver Dozie Ezukanma bringing the ball 40 yards towards the Cowboys’ endzone in a single play and scoring a touchdown for the Falcons in the play after, tying the game. 

The two quarters continued to follow this trend, with both teams finding opportunities to advance through each other’s defenses, with the Cowboys scoring the last touchdown in the game.

The Cowboys’ quarterback Edward Griffin made multiple important plays, with a notable 34-yard pass on a fourth down play which seemingly weaved through the Falcons’ defensive line and straight into wide receiver Baron Tipton’s hands. Griffin also scored a touchdown during the second quarter on a 1-yard keeper. Coppell senior defensive line Diallo Hall also made a notable play, sacking Falcons quarterback Anderson Lewis on a third down play, setting them back to a 4th and 18 play, forcing them to punt.

Although this game does not count for the Cowboys’ record, it leaves a sweet taste in their mouth, and they are looking forward to bringing their energy to the John Clark Stadium at Plano West on Sep. 22. 

Follow @jchuiiii and @sidekicksports on X