Cowboys hope to bring the heat against Mustangs in opener

Coppell+junior+quarterback+Edward+Griffin+locates+one+of+his+receivers+during+the+Coppell+Red+and+Black+scrimmage.+After+preparing+for+weeks%2C+the+Coppell+football+team+faces+Sachse+tonight+at+Buddy+Echols+Field+at+8+p.m.+for+the+season+opener.+
Olivia Short
Coppell junior quarterback Edward Griffin locates one of his receivers during the Coppell Red and Black scrimmage. After preparing for weeks, the Coppell football team faces Sachse tonight at Buddy Echols Field at 8 p.m. for the season opener.

After weeks practicing in a scorching Texas summer, the Coppell football team prepares to stage its return in the first home football game of the season. 

Coppell faces Sachse tonight at 8 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field. 

“Sachse has a good football program and they’re going to be really athletic and do some things right, so it’s going to come down to our ability to execute the plan,” Coppell coach Antonio Wiley said. “If we execute the plan and play well offensively and defensively then we should be fine in the fourth quarter. But if we don’t then Sachse has the athletes to make you pay for it and beat you on your home turf.”

On Aug. 17, the Coppell football team traveled to the Wildcat-Rams Stadium in Dallas to scrimmage Lake Highlands. 

“Since the scrimmage we have just been cleaning up some of the mistakes that we made and we are trying to play clean football because if you can go out and play clean football, you always have a chance to win,”  Wiley said.

When it comes to Sachse, Wiley’s strategy is to see how willing the Mustangs are to adjust offensively and defensively. 

Due to the excessive heat conditions forecast for tonight’s game, Coppell ISD Administration delayed the starting time of the game to 8 p.m. rather than 7 p.m. 

In addition to being the season opener for the Cowboys, today’s game is also Senior Night, in which several programs recognize their seniors throughout the night. 

“Senior Night is always a great time to go out and acknowledge those kids who have been in the program, whether it’s football, cheer or Lariettes, and have dedicated all of this extra time,” Wiley said. “Sometimes people who don’t do those things don’t know how much time and effort goes into it. So it’s always great to go out and just acknowledge those young people for the sacrifices that they have made over their high school careers.”

Follow Ava (@avakjohnson4) and @SidekickSports on X.