Whitfill says final farewell, congratulations

By Mary Whitfill

So here we are, together again, at the end of yet another treacherous year. He we stand: a bit older, a little wiser, and a whole lot better. We have all come away with something this year. What that is, is unique to each individual, but we all have something.

For me, it is a better self understanding. I have learned that I am full of capabilities; I just need to learn to use my powers for good. I have learned that there are ‘haters’, people who will be manipulative and conniving, self-centered and vain people, but as long as those people don’t become you, you’ll be OK.

I have learned that I believe in the power of a kind word, the convictions of Charles Dickens, the sweet spot, cheap paperback novels that will keep you fairly entertained during 16 hour layovers, that technology is out to get you and that I can’t fix absolutely everything. I have learned that just because you want something to happen, doesn’t mean it will and sometimes taking matters into your own hands is as useless as sitting on the sidelines. I have begun to distinguish between that which I cannot change and that which I have in the palm, of my hands, ready for molding. I have learned that out thoughts can be better than those of yesteryear and that our actions will carry us into tomorrow land. As we’ve been told since we were kids, “Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Watch your words, for they become actions. Watch your actions, for they become habits. Watch your habits, for they become character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

My beliefs have changed, my talents haven’t, and that is what will create my better endings. We must leave room to grow; we must leave room to explore. This year has given me the tools to move ahead without following in the already plotted footsteps of Atticus Finch, Huckleberry Finn or Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. I’m beginning to discover that I do not need Jane Austen, Cormac CcCarthy or Andrew Lloyd Webber to  point me in the right direction. My friends, teachers and acquaintances have made my skin a little thicker, forced me to distinguish between realities and make believe and put my priorities where they needed to be. 

I have learned that words are sharper than samurai swords and have the ability to slice deeper than speeding bullets, so be careful what you say because what you speak makes who you are. Who you are today effects who you are tomorrow and there is always room for change. Your petty decisions won’t stick with you, but the hard ones will, so choose wisely. Chances are that the hardest choice is the right choice; even if it hurts.

I believe this year can be summed up In the words of one classic American author: “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom,  it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way.” – Charles Dickens.

I want to congratulate each of you for making it to the end of this year long journey with me. I want to say thank you for helping me learn about myself and for helping me place one foot in front of the other. I want to challenge you to examine your year and discover what you’ve learned. Congratulations ladies and gentlemen, you’ve made it through another year.