West Side Story comes to Coppell

Allie Perison
Editor in Chief
Video by Robert Bradshaw

The Shark girls perform "I Feel Pretty" from FUMC's production of West Side Story. Photo by Aditi Shrikant.

This month, First United Methodist Church of Coppell is offering a weekend filled with romance, singing, dancing and even fighting for all who wish to take part with the production of West Side Story.

West Side Story is the tale of two rivaling gangs, the American Jets and the Puerto Rican Sharks, who are in a constant gang war in New York City. The story is a modern-day version of Shakespeare’s classic Romeo and Juliet, mimicking the woes of two teenage lovers forced to choose between love and loyalty. The lead characters, Tony (senior Grayson Hollis), a Jet, and Maria (junior Hilary Taylor), the sister of the head of The Sharks, parallel Romeo and Juliet by falling in love despite the building hate and resentment from the places they came from.

“It’s a really great musical,” Taylor said. “We have been working really hard on the singing, dancing, and acting. We have really put something together here. Every aspect of it is going to be something that people would want to see.”

The cast has been working tirelessly preparing for the April 9 premiere. With three-hour rehearsals every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, along with all-day Saturday rehearsals, the cast is beginning to feel prepared.

“It’s a lot of preparation,” Hollis said. “It takes up a good part of my week, but I like doing it – it’s worth it. I’m a senior, so I have the time to devote a lot of effort to this, which is what I am doing. I can see it all really coming together nicely. I think we are coming to that point now where everyone knows what they are doing and feels comfortable doing it.”

Grayson Hollis (Tony) and Hilary Taylor (Maria) rehearse before the big night. Photo by Aditi Shrikant.

FUMC Music Director Nathan Frank has a reputation for putting on impressive musicals. After four years of directing and putting on shows such as The Wizard of Oz, Music Man and Beauty and the Beast, it is clear that Frank plays a large part in making the shows what they are.

“Nathan has put all these different people and put them together in this one massive ball of awesome,” Taylor said. “I was in Wizard of Oz last year and had the chance to see that this is what FUMC is all about. Rehearsals have been so much fun – the energy he brings into rehearsals kind of just makes us have fun and be goofy while still moving along and progressing with the show. I don’t think there could be a better director.”

Frank goes to great lengths to get everything a play regarding costume design, choreography and singing coaches. He is confident that the play is going to be ready by the premiere date.

“It’s the church’s job to put young people in a place where they can succeed in expressing themselves in a warm, Christian environment,” Frank said. “We pull out the stops because I want to give the kids the best instruction that we as a church can offer. Also, we want the cast, crew and audience to enjoy the show and the process that goes along with it.”

West Side Story will be preformed on April 9, 10 and 12 at 7:30 p.m. and April 12 at 3 p.m. Tickets can be purchased before or on the date of the show from $7.50 to $20 at the church office or online at www.showtix4u.com.

“This is the best show ever written, but without talented folks performing, it would be flop,” Frank said. “West Side Story causes people to think. This story has the power to transform – if it didn’t, there would be no reason to perform the work.”

1