Brain on drugs: Students explore a new neurological dimension

Anatomy & physiology senior students Ashley Bartlett and Nathan Ballard give a presentation about methamphetamine on Tuesday. Stefanie Clarke’s class is currently learning about how different drugs affect your nervous system.

Ale Ceniceros

Briana Thomas

For Coppell High School anatomy and physiology students – the intricate workings of body systems, and the effects that drugs have on them are of great interest. Students have prepared informative, yet enticing presentations for their classes. Presentations began on Monday and will be continued throughout this week.

“The original intent of these presentations were to show the true effects drugs can have on your nervous system,” anatomy and physiology teacher Stefanie Clarke said.

In groups of two or three, students prepare an interactive presentation, along with a short PSA in which they focus on one specific drug of their choice, and explore the drastic behavioral and specifically neurological effects that it may have on one’s mind.

Students from both Michelle McDowell and Clarke’s classes are participating and enjoying the experience that the Brain On Drugs project offers.

“It was really interesting to learn about drugs that so many people I know actually take,” said junior Sage Smith, who researched anti-depressants.

The project, created just this year, is an opportunity for anatomy students to combine their prior knowledge of various body systems, with new knowledge of drugs and their effects.