One Direction, many more artists kick off Christmas spirit at first Jingle Ball show

5 Seconds of Summer start off the show Tuesday night at Jingle Ball. Photo by Gabby Sahm.

By Gabby Sahm

@gabbysahm

DALLAS – Once you got to your seat you were greeted with music videos from various artist playing on the big screen to occupy your time before the show started. Suddenly the lights go out, and 5 Seconds of Summer take the stage, the American Airlines Center echos with screams.

I could tell instantly that 106.1 KISS FM Jingle Ball was about to deliver me great performances from various artists that I would surely remember forever.

5 Seconds of Summer: Starting off Jingle Ball, 5 Seconds of Summer did not disappoint as it sang its first song “She Looks So Perfect.” After taking time to talk to the fans, and thank everyone for coming out, it started in on its latest album, Sounds Good Feels Good by playing some of my favorites “She’s Kinda Hot” and “Hey Everybody.” After its performance, the audience was excited, ready for the next act.  

DNCE: A fairly new group, started by former Jonas Brother, Joe Jonas, DNCE was a fun mix to add into the lineup. It surprised everyone by being the only act all night to start off by walking through the crowd and making its way to the stage. It sang from its album Swaay and ended by playing my favorite “Cake By The Ocean.” Whether you knew the band before the night started or not, you surely knew it after its performance.

Zedd: Honestly, I did not have high hopes for Zedd. I had listened to some of his songs, but I did not think they would be great live. I was proven wrong when he came out and blew me away. He played songs from his album True Colors and brought the arena to life. His song “I Want You To Know” featuring Selena Gomez will be on repeat for weeks to come.

Charlie Puth: I have loved Charlie Puth ever since I saw some of his singing videos on YouTube. It is amazing to witness someone, famous because of YouTube, perform at their very first stadium show. He graced the crowd with his angelic voice by playing “Marvin Gaye” and “One Call Away,” and closed out with a beautiful tribute to actor Paul Walker with “See You Again.”

Ellie Goulding: Making her way on stage in cute overalls and combat boots, Ellie Goulding was ready to get the crowd pumped up with her electric music and unique vocals. She played songs off her new album Delirium, such as “Something In The Way You Move” and crowd favorite “On My Mind.” She closed out by playing my personal, all time favorite song by her “Love Me Like You Do,” which is also on the Fifty Shades of Grey movie soundtrack.

Tove Lo: “She looks so majestic,” is the only way I could describe Tove Lo when she walked out on stage. She came out swinging, starting off by singing her song “Not On Drugs.” She closed by singing “Talking Body” and the song that started it all for her, “Stay High.” Though she was not on for a long time, she left everyone with a lasting impression.

Shawn Mendes: Personally, I think the only good thing to come out of the old Vine “boy group” Magcon, Shawn Mendes came out armed only with a guitar and mic. Mendes took it slow, starting off with his song “Life Of The Party,” then revving it up a bit with a song from his album Handwritten, “Stitches.” Just when you thought he was done, he surprised everyone by bringing out Fifth Harmony band member Camila Cabello to sing their newly released duet son, “I Know What You Did Last Summer.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3UvN02pkXY&feature=youtu.be

One Direction: I will be the first to admit, I love One Direction. I have been a fellow Directioner for five years now, and I have already seen it in concert twice before, so I felt like I knew what to expect. It started off immediately by singing many songs from its new album Made in the A.M, and threw it back to some earlier albums by playing “No Control” and “Story Of My Life.” What shocked me the most is when it decided to play “What Makes You Beautiful” from its very first album, but never the less it was amazing and my definitely favorite performance of the night.

Calvin Harris: At first, I again was not expecting amazing things from Calvin Harris, but after Zedd’s surprisingly entertaining performance, my expectations changed. Too bad Harris did not live up them. He performed some great songs such as “Blame” and “Summer,” but I think he went a little overboard with the remixing. Since it was an arena full of mostly teenage girls who just drained themselves screaming to One Direction, it would have been hard for anyone to top its performance.

Demi Lovato: I have never really liked Demi Lovato, but after last night that surely changed. First, she is one of nicest performers, taking time to talk to the fans and really show appreciation for everything in her life. I did not know beforehand that she grew up in Texas. It was great to hear Lovato talk about some of her favorite places here that I had also been too. Once she began singing, I was blown away. Lovato sang so well and hit every high note flawlessly in her songs “Confident”, “Cool for the Summer” and “Heart Attack.” It was the perfect way to close out the night.