Taste of Coppell displays city’s flavors, well loved restaurants

By Aisha Espinosa
@aishaespinosa1

Live music sets the background. The scent of a variety of foods combines into one, mouth-watering aroma as Coppell residents wander from table to table, sampling the best of what local restaurants have to offer.

On Sunday, Nov. 8, the Coppell Community Chamber of Commerce and Frost Bank came together to sponsor the 6th Annual Taste of Coppell. Chamber of Commerce members helped to run the event, handing out wristbands at the door and taking tickets to allow people in.

“I’m here with the Chamber of Commerce because my mom works there, but I like volunteering with them,” Coppell High School senior Taddie Cook said. “I’ve been helping for the last three years, and I get to count the votes and see which businesses are really loved by Coppell.”

Besides giving residents the chance to taste food from a variety of cuisines, the Taste of Coppell event also names the Taste of Coppell Golden Fork and Top Taste Winners. Judges, comprised of city council members, the mayor, and even a state representative, are assigned a category and must evaluate each restaurant’s entry.

“My judging was entrees and desserts, so I mean…I tasted it all,” Coppell mayor and judge of the evening Karen Hunt said. “I don’t know who’s going to win tonight, but it’s going to be neck and neck.”

The Golden Fork winner was Frost Cupcakery, with their array of cupcake flavors, including chocolate mint, and white chocolate raspberry cheesecake. Top Taste Winners of the night were J. Macklin’s Grill, Zenzero Bakery and Cafe and Carmel Restaurant and Lounge.

“My favorite food was probably J. Macklin’s ribs,” former Coppell Middle School East science teacher Rochelle Cowan said. “It was all so good. This event seem very popular – we couldn’t even park.”

As residents ate their way through the tables set up at the Coppell Senior and Community center, some made their way to the tables scattered across the lawn or inside. Many citizens took advantage of the photo booth, using the wacky props available.

“The thing that I love about this event is that it brings the citizens together,” Hunt said. “You see people you haven’t seen in a long time, and it also celebrates the restaurants we have in town. The camaraderie and seeing all these people uplifts the restaurants, and reminds people that there is a lot in Coppell.”