Football season ends in disappointing 51-35 loss in playoffs

Photo by Sarah VanderPol.

By Alex Nicoll

Editor-in-Chief

@NicollMac

Photo by Sarah VanderPol.
Senior Charles West drives the ball through his Desoto Eagle defenders in the Cowboys opening bi-district playoff game. Unfortunately, the Cowboys were unable to pull out a win, falling to the Eagles 51-35. Photo by Sarah VanderPol.

ARLINGTON-After an emotional end to their season, one thought crossed the mind of head coach Mike DeWitt.

“Honestly, I just want to go to bed, I’m tired,” coach Mike DeWitt said.

With an emotional end to their season, the Coppell Cowboys fell to the DeSoto Eagles for the third straight year in the Class 6A Division I playoffs, 51-35.

DeSoto opened the bi-district playoff game with a dominant first half outscoring Coppell, 24-7.

The second half there was more balance as Coppell matched the Eagles point for point.

The Coppell defense struggled to contain the DeSoto rushing attack and dual threat junior quarterback Tristen Wallace. The quarterback, making his first appearance of the year from injuring himself in the second week of the season, rushed for 183 yards and three touchdowns.

Photo by Sarah VanderPol.
Junior receiver Josh Fink runs in for a touchdown in the Cowboys opening bi-district playoff 51-35 loss to the Desoto Eagles. Fink was a key player in the game, scoring three touchdowns in the third quarter bringing the Cowboys back into the game. Photo by Sarah VanderPol.

Senior defensive back Jordan Barbo contributed heavily to the game through his special teams play, recovering an onside kick that gave Coppell the ball back late in the third quarter.

Coppell performed well on offense, amassing over 413 yards against a team that was in top 20 in total defense in the area. Senior running back Charles West led the Cowboys in rushing with 126 yards on 15 carries.

The standout out of the game was junior receiver Josh Fink, who finished the night with five receptions for 224 yards and four touchdowns, including three third quarter scores that brought Coppell back into the game.

Tensions ran high during the game, with multiple late hit penalties not called and unsportsmanlike penalties called on both sides of the ball.

“It didn’t affect overall the outcome of the game,” junior safety Dillon Rainbolt said. “We could’ve played better and done things better to win the game. You can’t blame it on the refs.”

Even though Coppell finished the season with a 6-5 record, the players were still positive.

“I’m disappointed in the outcome but I think we had a pretty good season overall,”  Rainbolt said. “It’s been fun.”

Photo by Sarah VanderPol.
After losing to the Desoto Eagles 51-35 in their opening bi-district playoff game, the Coppell Cowboys season comes to a disappointing end. Photo by Sarah VanderPol.