Cedar Hill vs Coppell: Football Preview

The offense watches the Coppell defense against Eastern Christian. Coppell won the game 42-2 on Sept. 12. Photo by Mallorie Munoz

By Alex Nicoll

editor-in-chief

@NicollMac

After dismantling the Eastern Christian Honey Badgers, 42-2, last Friday night, Coppell  (2-1) turns its attention on the reigning Class 5A Division II champs, Cedar Hill. (2-1)

“Cedar Hill, I mean they’re known. Once we found out we were playing Cedar Hill, I remember it was in offseason, we all got hyped because we have a chance to play one of the top teams in the nation,” senior offensive lineman Glenn Williams said. “We were like ‘We have this huge opportunity’.”

Cedar Hill is coming off a  40-30 loss to Dallas powerhouse, Skyline, giving up 13 unanswered points to end the game. It should not be dismissed as this team is loaded with Division I talent. In fact, many of its players have already committed to top-tier schools.

LSU commit quarterback Justin McMillan and University of Southern California commit running back Aca’cedric Ware are two others with game-changing talent. Ware already has eight touchdowns in three games and McMillan has seven passing touchdowns, four going to receiver DaMarkus Lodge.

One of the key match-ups to watch for is Coppell cornerback Jacob Murray against Lodge. Lodge is the top ranked receiver in The Dallas Morning News SportsDay Top 100 recruits and is the second ranked player overall. Murray, a Northwestern pledge, will have his work cut out for him against this top threat.

Confidence is key for Murray, who is moving from safety to cornerback for this game.

“I have to have disciplined eyes and great footwork,” Murray said. “I have to trust in myself and my teammates.”

While Lodge might be a major component of the Cedar Hill, leading the team in touchdown receptions, Williams is not as in awe of the receiver as others are.

“I remember we watched him [Lodge] at the Nike Festival in the summer,” Williams said. “Nothing was that impressive. Our receivers caught more balls than he did in a drill.”

Coppell’s defense, ranked second in the area in pass defense, should be tested by the Cedar Hill offense that puts up an average of 44 points per game.

Coppell’s offense will have a few switches for Friday night. Senior offensive lineman Shane Odom replaces guard Collin Jacques who was injured in last week’s game. Senior defensive back Bryce VonZurmeuhlen may play receiver some, along with junior quarterback Myles Paschall, in place of the injured receiver Josh Fink.

The trick for Coppell is to not approach this game with any special treatment.

“It’s just going to be like every other week,” Williams said.