What’s on My Playlist: Indie edition

By Sloane Samberson
staff writer
@sloane_avery

Most of my free time is spent searching for new music, constructing new playlists or finding music for a friend in need. I spend hours listening to bands in order to find a small fraction of songs I really like. It is not just a hobby, it is a full-time job.

I have to feel an immediate click with a song, whether it is lyrically or instrumentally, or else I will not give it the time of day.

IMG_7409.JPG
Graphic by Sloane Samberson.

From the metaphorical lyrics to the strangeness an indie artist’s voice can withhold, I love everything about the diverse genre. I feel passion in its purest form. This is why I have made a playlist for you to look into, so you might be able to feel the passion I feel. All songs are avaliable on Spotify.

1. “Bridges” – Broods

The brother/sister band from New Zealand, combine the raspiness of lead singer Georgia Nott’s voice and electronic vibes to create “Bridges”. What I took away from the lyrics was that loving someone means you may have to build bridges between their life and yours. Between your two hearts. But you may have to end up burning the bridges in the end.

2. “Vessel” – Dry the River 

Dry the River has been one of my favorite bands for a while. I fell in love with its first album Shallow Bed, specifically the song “No Rest”. It came out with its newest album, Alarms in the Heart, on Aug. 26. and the first song I played was “Vessel”. It brought me to tears. “I don’t wanna be your vessel any more, I don’t wanna be a vessel of your doubt…”

3. “Honey” – Swim Deep

“Don’t just dream in your sleep its just lazy…” Incredibly catchy and energizing. Listening to “Honey” makes me feel as if I’m at a school dance, pastel blue confetti falling, discoball glistening. Young and electric.

4. “Colombia” – Local Natives 

I first heard the Local Natives when I downloaded a bunch of free songs from Urban Outfitters store blog. What attracts me to them is how the music ranges from intense to light and airy. “Colombia” is definitely light and airy. The pain you hear behind leader singer, Taylor Rice’s voice when he sings the line “Am I loving enough…Am I giving enough” makes you feel his heartache.

5. “I Found a New Way” – Twin Peaks

Before researching Twin Peaks (like I do with most bands), listening to them gave me a vivid picture of four to five moderately talented high school boys who randomly got together in a garage to find it could create great grungey music. “I Found a New Way” contains a classic guitar beat and indie-rock vocals to make a very feel good, timeless song.

6. “Need It” – Half Moon Run

Seeing Half Moon Run live and front row twice has given me a really strong emotional bond to them and its only album Dark Eyes. In “Need It” you are overwhelmed romantically with guitar strums and lyrics that fill you with a deep passion. “If you breathe in, then I breathe in,
and only we’ll know.”

7. “Mad Scientist” – Fog Lake

The piano bouncing in the background compliments the simplicity of the lyrical rhyming scheme. Fog Lake is the epitome of fall as bands go. I have noticed a trend of warmth amongst its songs, like apple cider brisking your lips for the first time this season.

8. “Beth/Rest (Rare Book Room)” – Bon Iver

Somber piano melody throughout the entire song with eerie vocal riffs. The way that Justin Vernon utilizes his mysteriously sound voice draws you into the incredibly poetic lyrics.

Everytime I find new music, specifically indie music, it makes me fall in love with the art even more. Discovering these eight songs has made my interest for the genre grow, exciting me for what songs are to come in my neverending search.