Thomas “Army Strong” at All-American Bowl

Senior defensive end Solomon Thomas runs onto the turf at the Alamodome in San Antonio before the US Army All-American Bowl Game on Jan. 5. Thomas’ selection cements his status among the most elite high school athletes in the nation. Photo by Mark Slette
Coppell senior defensive end Solomon Thomas jogs out onto the turf at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas prior to the start of U.S. Army All-American Bowl on Jan. 4. Thomas registered three solo tackles for loss as the West beat the East 28-6. Photo by Mark Slette.

Video By Mark Slette

U.S. Army All American Bowl Game Coverage

Story By John Loop

Sports Editor

SAN ANTONIO – Coppell senior defensive end Solomon Thomas’ on-field performance at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, where he registered three solo tackles for loss, was key as the West team defeated the East team, 28-6.

Thomas’s week in San Antonio started on Dec. 29, when over 180 players and coaches flooded into rooms at the Grand Hyatt Hotel. Players were fitted with equipment and apparel and ushered to a welcome dinner that night.

Monday morning began the first round of two-a-day practices. Thomas, who played his usual position of defensive end in the game on Saturday, got his first taste of the talent on the West team which was chosen by the Army Bowl selection committee.

“I went against [La Habra High School offensive tackle] Toa Lobendahn from California and [St. John Bosco HS offensive tackle] Damien Mama, and those are two of the best guys I have ever gone against in my life,” Thomas said. “Practice was really challenging, but it made me a lot better.”

The two-a-day practices were tough and continued until Thursday.

At the award show on Friday, Thomas was there to support his West teammates without a thought of being an award recipient. He, instead, walked out of the Lila Cockrell Theater with two awards: the Glenn Davis Award for outstanding strength of character and community service and the Anthony Muñoz Lineman Award, given to the nation’s premier high school lineman.

Senior defensive end Solomon Thomas runs onto the turf at the Alamodome in San Antonio before the US Army All-American Bowl Game on Jan. 5. Thomas' selection cements his status among the most elite high school athletes in the nation. Photo by Mark Slette

Then it was game day. Thomas donned a yellow No. 17 jersey. This was a switch from the No. 90 he has worn over the last four years at Coppell High School.

The West defense was rock solid against a struggling East offensive unit. The West offense on the other hand, led by future Texas A&M Aggie quarterback Kyle Allen (Scottsdale, Ariz.) could not be stopped.

Running back Royce Freeman (Imperial, Calif.) rambled for three short yardage scores, and Oklahoma commit Joe Mixon (Oakley, Calif.), also named the game’s Most Valuable Player, rushed for one touchdown.

Allen, however, stole the show. The College Station-bound signal caller threw for 183 yards on 12 passes, an Army Bowl passing record, and directed the West offense with ease.

Thomas’ long week of activity was over after the horn sounded at the Alamodome. However, he was one of the few prospects that did not have a college listed next to their name. Knowing that his final game as a high school student-athlete is behind him Thomas is still planning on committing on Signing Day in February.

Thomas named his top five schools before the holiday (not in order): Stanford, UCLA, Texas, Arkansas and Ohio State.

Whether his announcement will broadcast on ESPN’s Signing Day Special will be up to him.

“I really wanted to sign with my [Coppell Cowboys] team, but if someone wants to do it national, I will,” Thomas said.