Being progressive versus being sell outs

Definition of progessive: moving forward, advancing.

Nowhere in that definition do I see “changing ones sound to appeal to what the masses want to listen to”. Many of the bands I’ve listened to have been accused of “selling out”, usually by older fans who aren’t happy when the little band that only they knew about is finally getting recognized for their music.

I completely understand the feeling one gets when a band they’ve been listening to since they first started quickly gains popularity, but I don’t understand the feeling of hostility shown towards that band by other fans. It would be boring if a band stuck to the same sound throughout their career and it’s only normal for them to expand their sound so as not to bore their fans. Granted, there are times when a musician truly does sell out, and I’m willing to acknowledge that, but just because a musician doesn’t sound the same as they did when they first started, doesn’t make them sell outs.

Time after time, I’ll see videos on YouTube with comments that claim a band to be sell outs. Always I think that there is a difference to a band slightly changing their sound as they progress, than a band that changes their sound because it’s what everyone else wants to hear.