Without Mitchell, Wolves handle Cowboys, 59-54

By John Loop
Sports Editor

If Plano West had put Mickey Mitchell on the court, Coppell would not have been able to keep the game as close as they did.

Regardless, Mitchell’s absence, due to back spasms, provided a bigger stage for Wolves junior DJ Hogg, who torched the Cowboys with 20 points in the 59-54 win.

“We were packing our defense and making them earn it from the perimeter, and [Mitchell] is not really a perimeter guy,” head coach Kit Pehl said. “I don’t know how big a difference, and he’s a good player, so he would have made a difference especially on the boards. Our kids didn’t even ask me about it.”

The Cowboys jumped out to an early lead behind seniors Cody Carver, who led the Cowboys in scoring with 18, and Josh Feitl in the first quarter. Midway through the first period, Hogg landed awkwardly on his right ankle and had to be helped off the floor. His return was questionable, but he did get back on the floor early in the second quarter.

Hogg’s return spurred a West comeback that led to a Wolves 28-25 lead at the half.

“We got crossed up on a couple of ball screens, which is irritating,” Pehl said. “Going into the game, we knew what [Hogg] was capable of. He just needs a little bit of room, and he’s got all that length. To his credit, he made some big shots, and he made a couple of big shots when I didn’t think they had a lot of momentum.”

It was neck and neck until the end of the game. The flurry of lead changes added to the suspense, but a Hogg basket with just under a minute left was the dagger. Feitl dwindled the lead to three with a three pointer of his own, but the Cowboys never came closer as the Wolves sealed the five-point win with a pair free throws.

“I think our team concept is in a great spot,” Pehl said. “I think our team defense is something that we are really committed to. My guys are trying so hard, and it is improving on a daily basis.”