Slamming the door: Coppell regains momentum to surge past Jesuit

Rhea Chowdhary
Coppell junior linebacker Weston Polk tackles Jesuit junior running back Zane Williams at Ford Center in Frisco. Coppell defeated Dallas Jesuit. 42-23, advancing to the Class 6A Division II Region I regionals.

FRISCO – One of the primary goals for the Coppell football team throughout the season was to play over Thanksgiving. With last night’s victory, the team has met its goal. 

Last night, Coppell defeated Dallas Jesuit, 42-23, in the Class 6A Division II Region I area playoffs at Ford Center. The Cowboys (12-0) advance to regional playoffs, where they will face tonight’s Bryon Nelson-Midland winner.

After a six-yard receiving touchdown scored by Jesuit junior wide receiver Jaeger Krauss, it is now a five-point game heading into the fourth quarter. 

Coppell junior running back O’Marion Mbakwe scores a 59-yard rushing touchdown, extending Coppell’s lead to 35-23 over the Rangers, leaving 4:13 left on the clock. 

Back on offense, the Rangers are 44 yards from the endzone on their fourth down. The ball is snapped to Jesuit junior quarterback Charlie Peters but before Peters can make a play, he is taken to the ground by Coppell senior defensive lineman Momeen Abbasher, putting the Cowboys back on offense with 2:43 left in the game. 

Coppell is now 32 yards from the end zone on its fourth down but Mbakwe weaves between Jesuit’s defensive line and scores another rushing touchdown for the Cowboys, one second now left on the clock. The Rangers’ fate is sealed and Jesuit falls in the area playoffs for the third consecutive year. 

“I didn’t care about who got the carries or touchdowns, I just wanted to win the game and we could have but it’s in the past,” Jesuit junior running back Zane Williams said. “Defense and offense had great moments but if we would have come together earlier, the game would have been a lot different.”

Follow Ava (@avakjohnson4) and @SidekickSports on X.