Cowboys tame Tigers, 56-8

The Cowboys take the field before their game against the Irving Tigers at Irving Schools Stadium. Coppell defeated the Tigers, 56-8. Photo by Regan Sullivan.

By John Loop
Sports Editor

The Coppell Cowboys took no time at all to set the tone against the Irving Tigers and for the rest of their playoff run.

It actually only took 49 seconds.

The clock showed 11:11 when senior linebacker Kilian Bresnahan danced into the end zone after picking off Irving senior quarterback Christian Garcia and returning the ball 32 yards. The pick-six was the first points for Coppell, but certainly not the last, as the Cowboys throttled the Tigers, 56-8.

“After that play, I was really excited that I helped my team out.,” Bresnahan said. “We wanted to start out strong and I feel like we did.”

Junior quarterback Skyler Bonneau had one of his best games as a Cowboy, completing seven of nine passes for 156 yards and throwing for three scores.

Bresnahan’s interception was another addition to an already outstanding ledger of great plays this season.

“I was really proud for him.” head coach Joe McBride said. “He has been making so many good plays for us.”

After an interception by senior safety Chris Adkins on the Tigers’ third possession, Bonneau hooked up with sophomore wide receiver Josh Fink, who gathered in a 62-yard bomb for a score. Bonneau also added two scoring passes to junior running back Charles West.

The Coppell defense was without senior standout defensive end Solomon Thomas for most of the game. Thomas had the wind knocked out of him, which McBride confirmed after the game. Thomas will not miss any unexpected time this week.

With the victory, Coppell secured a date with the DeSoto Eagles at Cowboys Stadium next Saturday at 2 p.m. There will certainly be a feeling of revenge, as the Eagles won last year’s second round game, 42-14.

“We are just trying to get better,” McBride said. “That’s all we’ve been trying to do; get hot and get some good rhythm and unity about or game. I am just proud of the kids for continuing to get better and buy in.”