Football Preview: Coppell vs Lewisville

By Alex Nicoll

Coppell defensive end Solomon Thomas brings down Denton Ryan player on Senior night to stop a big gain.
Coppell defensive end Solomon Thomas brings down Denton Ryan player on senior night to stop a big gain.

Even though the Cowboys have already clinched the District 5-5A title, Friday night’s game against the Lewisville Fighting Farmers will cement their undefeated record in district and close the books on an almost perfect regular season.

Lewisville has struggled this year, only winning three games on the season and only one in district play. Their struggles stem from their offense which has only scored over 20 points three times this year.

The Fighting Farmers best offensive threat is senior kicker Tluang Hmung, who leads the team in points scored.

This is not saying that the Coppell defense should treat this game as a scrimmage. Lewisville still has some threats that could erupt for a big game. Junior wide receivers Trinity Benson and Cameron Creal are the favorite targets of senior quarterback Matt McDougal and are both averaging over 10 yards per catch.

No serious running threat is present on this team. They share the ball among multiple rushers.

Something that will benefit Coppell is McDougal’s playing style. He is a prototypical pocket passer that cannot scramble to save his life. Senior defensive ends Solomon Thomas and John Herubin should be seeing the quarterback frequently that night.

McDougal is also turnover prone. He has 5 interceptions already on the year and more could be added by senior safety Chris Adkins and the secondary. Adkins is a ball-hawking player who leads a unit that has already caused havoc for opposing quarterbacks.

It does not fare better for on the other side of the ball for the Farmers. The defense struggles with containing the run game evident by allowing 270 yards on the ground against Plano.

Seeing as running is all Coppell does primarily its reasonable to assume that senior running back Gavin McDaniel, junior running back Charles West and sophomore running back Brandon Rice will combine for at least 200 yards. West will also be looking to eclipse the 1,000 yard mark.

Junior quarterback Bonneau has come into his own this season and emerged as a threat late in the season. He does not give on the pass easily anymore and is finding receiver down field. This will be his final tuneup before the playoffs start.

Regardless of Friday’s outcome, the Cowboys will be seeded at the top of District 5-5A. The opponent has still yet to be decided.

This game is not necessarily going to be a blowout. District games are always difficult and Lewisville might provide the Cowboys actual competition and the fans a great game. More likely than not though, we will see the backups for Coppell in by the third quarter.