Baseball Town: San Franciscans can’t get enough of Giants

Students test in teacher Reagan Richmond’s 7th period Geometry class. Photo by Rinu Daniel.
After two World Series wins in the past three years, San Francisco fans proudly display their love for their home team. “I wanted to go to the World Series game more than anything,” May said. “I waited before the game to see what the ticket prices were going to be and I found a guy who helped me get tickets for $200 instead if $600. Paying for the ticket was so worth it, going to that game was amazing.” Photo by Stephanie Alexander

By Stephanie Gross

Sports Writer

SAN FRANCISCO – After jumping from the Texas Rangers to division rival Los Angeles Angels, outfielder Josh Hamilton questioned if  football-crazy Dallas-Fort Worth is a “baseball town.”

But Hamilton would have a really hard time making such a strong claim about San Francisco, where baseball lies deep in the heart of Bay Area residents.

Just walking the streets of downtown, it is very apparent the San Francisco Giants, winners of the 2010 and 2012 World Series, are the team of choice.

“I began going to Giants games last season once I moved here from Los Angeles,” local resident Marcela Pimentel said.  “I grew up watching the game with my grandfather and now I go to a lot of the games with my boyfriend. The overall environment of the baseball games are really cool, I really love it.”

AT&T Park, located on the east side of downtown, lies right on the edge of the San Francisco Bay. Tourists and locals flood to the picturesque park each season.

“The stadium is pretty close for a lot people in the city, which is a big reason why it is so well known and popular,” Pimentel said.

Visitors in the city will see many local fans wearing Giants attire such as baseball hats, jackets, backpacks and even some jewelry. Some locals love the team so much that they even got their credit cards personalized with the MLB team’s logo.

From pedestrians on the street to workers in the city, most San Franciscans have a special connection to the Giants and game of baseball in one way or another.

Like Pimentel, Marriot Marquis hotel concierge supervisor Llando Delago found his love of the game through his grandfather as well.

“Back in 1982 when I was only 12 years old, my grandfather brought me to my first baseball game ever,” Delago said. “I am originally from the Philippines and when I walked into the ballpark for the first time to see the Giants play, my eyes just totally lit up.”

For many Giants fans like Delago, there are special things that they will never forget from games.

“I still remember getting to watch Joe Morgan play,” Delago said. “It was such a memorable game for me since it was my first.”

The Giants moved to San Francisco following the 1957 season and spent two seasons playing at Seal Park before moving to Candlestick Park, also home of the NFL’s San Francisco 49ers. In 2000, the Giants moved to AT&T Park.

“The old stadium [Candlestick] was located in a part of town that was not quite as nice at the new one is now,” Delago said. “It was in a bad neighborhood and always very windy. The new stadium is absolutely beautiful and fans always have a lot of fun at the games.”

There are so many aspects that go into making the San Francisco Giants as loved as they are in the city. For one, the ballpark grants easy access to many locals, the organization has won two of the past three World Series, legends thougout its history including Willie Mays and Barry Bonds and the fans love watching their team play.

In fact, fans like Luis May are so passionate that they would have done anything to see the Giants play in the World Series last October against the Detroit Tigers.

“The experience of going to a World Series game is absolutely incredible,” May said. “You never know when you will have a chance to go to something like that.  I went to the game last year and I still carry the ticket around in my pocket.”

In 2010, the Giants defeated the Texas Rangers in five games in the World Series. They celebrated after Game 5 at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

Two recent World Series wins for the Giants is something that locals in San Francisco carry on their shoulders proudly. Many fans would have given a lot to see their beloved team win.

“I wanted to go to the World Series game more than anything,” May said. “I waited before the game to see what the ticket prices were going to be and I found a guy who helped me get tickets for $200 instead if $600. Paying for the ticket was so worth it, going to that game was amazing.”

Whether it be a World Series game or a regular season game, fans are always just as excited and passionate about watching their Giants. They truly are San Francisco’s favorite team.

And San Francisco is no doubt a baseball town.

Four members of The Sidekick staff and adviser Chase Wofford and KCBY adviser Irma Kennedy traveled to the JEA/NSPA Spring National High School Journalism Convention in San Francisco on April 25-28.

1