The wonders of Google

By Rebecca Fowler

Ahh, Google.  It does our homework, fills up our free time and helps us solve arguments.  The most popular search engine has developed into much more over the years and is now available in more aspects of our lives than most people know.

Everyone is familiar with google.com (or gppgle.com if you mistype—yes, it still leads to the same search engine), but not all are aware of the “I’m Feeling Lucky” option for searching.  With this alternative, Google automatically takes you to the first web page listed in your search, which can be time-saving if you are confident that the first web site is the one you are trying to reach.  It can also be a fun way to add the element of surprise to searching.

Google's various services have redefined the way we communicate, learn, and have fun.  Graphic by Yogesh Patel.
Google's various services have redefined the way we communicate, learn and have fun. Graphic by Yogesh Patel.

Another fun Google tool is Mystery Google, recently added this year.  This web site (www.mysterygoogle.com) is designed simply as an entertaining form of searching and discovering new things—no matter what you search, you are directed to the results of the word or phrase searched by the person before you.  For example, you can search a simple thing like “gummy bears” and be directed to a list of web page results for “onomonopia” or “sheep.”  It does not make much sense but is very amusing.

“Mystery Google is the best,” senior Elizabeth Shaw said.  “It is very entertaining and distracting.  In fact, one time I was searching and was led to the results of someone who had searched ‘stop procrastinating and do your homework.’”

Google not only provides unique services such as those previously listed, but also has its own e-mail provider (G-mail) and the Google Maps feature—both tools that are common to other search engines such as Bing and Yahoo. 

“Google maps saved my life,” senior Rebekah Yates said.  “It helped me find my way to A&M to visit my sister.  I use it all the time, because it is so convenient, and I like that it lets you change the route to meet your needs.”

Google remains a popular web site due to the fact that it provides universal features as well as distinct ones.

“Google is cool,” senior Precious Femi-Ogunyemi said.  “It is way better than Yahoo because the results are more accurate, and Maps lets you virtually walk the streets.”

Another of these one-of-a-kind services is Google Chrome, a Web browser by Google that is said to run faster and with more ease than standard ones.  Google Chrome is innovative and allows users to be creative, offering background design options such as stars, jellyfish, clouds, flowers and even Britney Spears.  Because it can be personalized, Google Chrome is unlike conventional browsers.  The service can be tailored to users’ tastes in layout too.  They can set up thumbnails which take them to their favorite web sites in one click and organize tabs in their own fashion.

An additional inventive Google creation is Google Wave, a combination social network, chat room and game web site.  Wave is extremely useful for groups of people including work projects, students, friends and families.  Like Facebook, it offers photo sharing, event planning and RSVP tracking, but it also provides interactive games like Sudoku, live instant messaging and video chat.  Google Wave is a unique feature allowing users to both chat and share documents, as well as other social networking.  Wave is free, though it does require Google Chrome (also free) to run.

While Google offers services that are unique from all other web companies, the world-renowned company also creates spoofs of pre-existing tools in hopes of competing with the most successful products out there.  One example is the Google Phone, called Andriod, strangely similar to the infamous iPhone.

Overall, Google has proven that it can—and does—feature in countless areas of our lives.  From helping us learn new things to communicating with others and just having a laugh, the familiar blue, red, yellow and green search engine will undoubtedly remain a strong part of our generation’s culture and day-to-day life.

4