iPhone 5 pre-orders break “one-day” sales record

By Will Thomas

Last week, Apple unveiled the iPhone 5 to some mixed reactions. The newest iPhone has a bigger processor, a longer screen, some minor tweaks on the exterior and 4G LTE capability. To say the least, I found it disappointing. Pre-orders began on Friday, and as usual, it was record breaking. The iPhone 5 broke a “one-day” sales record after selling over 2 million phones in 24 hours. As an iPhone 4s user, I do not see the need to pay for an upgrade for a few minor changes. There was nothing completely new about the phone. There was the new connector which seemed to bother more people rather than excite them, while the larger screen seemed to make mobile movie watchers happy. Apple tried to make a big deal out of the phone being thinner, but the real change is the back of the phone no longer being glass, so everyone can stop shattering their iPhones when dropping them. I was interested to see the iOS 6 camera features like panoramic pictures, but there are no other changes to the camera..

There are still a few things that we actually want for our iPhones that Apple has yet to give. Storage is always an issue with movies and television shows, particularly those in high-definition. It would be nice to have a 128 gigabyte storage option, or at least be able to use external SD cards for extra space. Battery life has always been an issue, so why don’t we have replaceable batteries, or just a battery that lasts longer?

So do you plan on getting the iPhone 5? Do you think it is worth the money?