“Sparks Fly” in Swifts concert

Sparks Fly in Swifts concert

By Sarah Police

There were 20 songs, eight wardrobe changes and 50,000 people present on a Saturday night. These numbers do not even begin to explain what went on in Cowboys Stadium on Oct. 8.

Taylor Swift preformed one of her top hits "Love Story" during her concert at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium. Photo by Rachel Bush.

With thousands of people screaming in a pitch-black stadium, Taylor Swift appeared on a platform that rose from the ground onto the stage. Amongst thousands of cameras flashing, white smoke billowed from the platform and she walked out wearing a gold, sparkly, fringe dress, singing “Sparks Fly.”

Unlike other concerts I have been to, Swift was actively moving throughout the night. She danced, whipped her hair around, and often played guitar. Swift was very friendly throughout the concert. When she sang “Dear John” she honestly looked like she was still upset as she was singing what she went through.

At first she seemed shocked at how many people were packed into Cowboys Stadium. But she treated her fans right. She even stepped off the stage and into the floor seats and greeted fans.

Swift definitely came dressed to impress and had a number of dress changes ranging from casual dresses to fancy ball gowns. She changed wardrobes every couple of songs. Among the outfit changes were her traditional sparkle dresses for songs like “Better than Revenge,” “Our Song” and “Mean.” During slower songs such as “Back to December” and “Enchanted” Swift wore a floor length gowns that looked like they had just been purchased from Vera Wang. During the encore, Swift even showed her support for the Dallas Cowboys by wearing a personalized jersey that said “Swift” on the back.

Her voice projected throughout the stadium. Swift sang her more popular songs like “You Belong With Me” and “Mine.” But she also pleased fans by singing the lesser known songs like “Long Live”. Before she would sing a song, Swift would give the crowd a little bit of background information about why she wrote the song. What really got to me is how she was so casual and friendly with the fans. I genuinely felt like I had been her childhood friend and we were just having a conversation. It was really exciting how for each song there was an interesting anecdote that foreshadowed the upcoming song.

There was not a boring moment throughout the night. Swift also kept it interesting by adding fun twists in the concert like surprising the audience with R&B artist B.O.B. They belted out a duet to his song “Airplanes.” Swift and B.O.B made fans go wild. Not only did Swift collaborate with B.O.B, she also sang Don Henley’s song, “The Boys of Summer” while playing the guitar. Swift attracted fans by singing a mix of her songs “Back to December,” “You’re Not Sorry” and “Apologize” by One Republic.

For the grand finale, Swift sang her hit “Love Story.” She wore a full-length crème, sparkly ball gown. This song had the biggest (and coolest) effects; Swift actually got onto a platform that rose up in the air and moved her around the stadium. She had many backup dancers and fireworks going off in the background.

Swift’s concert was definitely the best one I’ve been too in a long time. For anyone who gets the opportunity, I highly recommend going to see Taylor Swift in concert. She gave a phenomenal performance and I give her a solid A.