Nick Jordan takes his kicking talents to UT

Photo by Ivy Hess
Photo by Ivy Hess

By Chase Porter

For about as long as the school has existed, the University of Texas has been a leader in college football. Now one of our own Coppell players, senior Nick Jordan, will be joining this prestigious program in 2012.

Nick Jordan stands on his Coppell Cowboys field sporting his UT shirt and football. Photo by Ivy Hess.

Before becoming the Cowboys starting kicker, Jordan was playing peewee football as a safety and receiver. As he progressed within the Coppell football programs, he started focusing primarily on kicking. During his sophomore year Jordan got to kick at the varsity level.

“I’ve wanted to play Division I football ever since I became a varsity starter and realized my potential,” Jordan said.

Since Jordan’s first start sophomore year, he has practiced and improved. Jordan even made the decision after sophomore year to quit the lacrosse team and focus primarily on kicking to achieve his goal of D-I recruitment.

“Nick has not only grown in size and strength but also in confidence and experience on the field,” football coach Joe McBride said. “His practice and work ethic while practicing is also a major of how good he is.”

Now a senior, Rivals has ranked Jordan the sixth best kicker in the country. His ability to kick the ball out of the end zone and hit long field goals with ease under pressure has made him a top-kicking recruit for the class of 2012.

“I believe that he’s the best kicker in the state and definitely one of the top kickers in the nation,” McBride said.

Nick Jordan starts the Coppell vs. Arlington Colts game with a kick-off last Friday. Photo by Rowan Khazendar.

During the recruiting process Iowa State, OU, Illinois, Texas Tech and UT contacted Jordan. Not only did Jordan contact the coaches but McBride also had a part in Jordan’s recruiting process.

“I had a lot of communication with the coaches contacting Nick just trying to promote him as a player,” McBride said, “I just try to educate the players about the recruiting process and the teams they are being recruited by and then its up to the player to preform and choose a school.”

Nick chose UT while on an official visit in Austin. He was told to contact the UT football coach Mack Brown after the tour and was told he would be informed about his stance on the team. When Jordan called Brown he was informed that the Longhorns could use his kicking talents.

“I was extremely excited when I was told to call the coach, but I was speechless when he offered me a spot on the team for next year,” Jordan said.

Jordan will begin his college-kicking career next fall, but for now Jordan and the rest of the team needs to focus on the season at hand.

“This season will be good for Nick because he can get some more experience kicking under pressure before he goes and plays at the next level,” McBride said.

Jordan’s fellow teammates are also ready for the rest of the season and anxious to see how Jordan does.

“I think he will be consistent as always and will be there if we need him in close games,” senior linebacker Matthew Ainsworth said.

Nick Jordan lines up for a kickoff at the Mesquite Horn game last Friday night. Photo by Ivy Hess.