Upcoming Narnia movie opens Friday, deviates from book

Zeb White
Staff Writer, Assistant Business Manager

This Friday, “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” will hit theaters across America and England with much riding on this third installment of the Narnia series. The first Narnia movie, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, was a big hit with global ticked sales of $745 million. However, the second film entitled Prince Caspian only made $420 million; despite high hopes and aggressive marketing campaigns. If The Voyage of the Dawn Treader succeeds at the box office, there appears to be hope for the continuation of this seven-part series, though changes to the storyline make analysts wonder whether this can happen.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was originally a novel written by
C.S. Lewis published in 1952. Early viewers of the movie claim that it significantly deviates from the original story, which may be problem for longtime Narnia fans.

British director Michael Apted, best known for Bond film The World is Not Enough, said the estate of
C. S. Lewis initially questioned the need for changes to the storyline made in the script, but eventually agreed that they were necessary.

Moviemakers claim that the storyline of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was too episodic and plot elements need to be added to give the film the driving force that audiences crave.

Apted recently told Reuters, “You’ve got to have a reason in a movie to go from A to B to C, especially in a commercial movie. So that was a big problem.”

Do you think that The Voyage of the Dawn Treader will live up to expectations? Feel free to leave a comment below.