Book Review: Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski

By Maddie Walters

For some, the works of Charles Bukowski might be viewed as too crude or vulgar to be considered actual literature. This couldn’t be farther from the truth, especially when you discover exactly how Charles Bukowski received his brusque point of view in one of his later novels, Ham on Rye.

Modeling the style of his previous novels, Ham on Rye is written in first person and follows Henry Chinaski, Bukowski’s lightly camouflaged alter ego, during his early years. Written in Bukowski’s characteristic crude and straightforward prose, the novel tells of Chinaski’s coming-of-age in Los Angeles during the Great Depression.

Unlike his previous autobiographical novels, Ham on Rye centers on the life of Henry Chinaski in his childhood, teenage, and early adult years as mentioned earlier. Throughout the course of the novel, Bukowski develops his seemingly anti-hero character that is seen in his other works like Post Office and Hollywood (which are also exceptional reads).

Chinaski, growing up poor in Los Angeles during the late 1930s, is shown growing into a sarcastic loner. This stems in large part from his home life, in which he is beaten frequently and often for no reason by his father. He becomes alienated from the children at school, first by his inability to play sports, then by disfiguring acne in high school.

By simply telling a heart-breaking narrative of American mediocrity, Bukowski is able to instantly establish an emotional connection with his readers. I was also personally enthralled simply by Bukowski’s life story and his struggles to establish himself in a society that is sincerely against his interests.

However unrealistic some of the chapters of Bukowski’s life may seem, Ham on Rye is now one of my favorite novels. By creating a seemingly antagonist character and making him a hero in the hearts of anyone who reads his novels, Bukowski defines himself as one of the most prolific writers of the 21st century. I would heartily recommend this book for a mature audience as violence and sexual themes due occur.