Jaguars finish off Cowgirls in five innings

Eirene Park
The Coppell softball team celebrates a home run scored by Coppell sophomore right fielder Audrey Pham during the third inning against Flower Mound on Friday at the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex. The Jaguars defeated the Cowgirls, 14-1.

Flower Mound defeated the Coppell softball team, 14-1, in five innings on Friday at the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex.

Trailing 7-0 in the third inning, sophomore Audrey Pham, hit a home run for Coppell’s only run.

“I saw the ball and I just felt it,” Pham said.

Flower Mound showed to be dominant throughout the game, scoring multiple runs in each inning. From the first inning resulting in 2-0 for Flower Mound to their six runs in the fifth inning, its strategy proved to be strong and dominant at the plate.

“They’re a very fast team and the speed killed us tonight. They really executed their game plan of a short game,” Coppell coach Robbie Moen said. 

Coppell senior third baseman Mallory Moore bats during the first inning against Flower Mound on Friday at the Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex. The Jaguars defeated the Cowgirls, 14-1.
(Eirene Park)

After the defeat, Moen said Flower Mound’s pressure on Coppell’s defensive strategy is what resulted in the Jaguars’ victory. 

“What that offense does is create pressure on the defense and they created a lot of pressure on us, as well as their base runners,” Moen said. “ I think they had 18, 19 or 20 hits and a couple locks. So there were a lot of base runners in those 5 innings. It just put us really on our heels and we could just never recover.” 

The Cowgirls resume District 6-6A play at Plano on Monday.

Follow @isabella.callegaros and @SidekickSports on X