Jost aspires for new heights in swim

Jayden Chui
Coppell High School senior Katy Jost qualified for the Junior National swimming competition after placing second at the Lakeside Aquatic Club Fall Classic for 500-yard freestyle. Jost has swam competitively for more than five years, and appreciates the progress she has made and the rewards of her hard work.

Putting one arm forward, rippling through the water, Coppell senior mid-distance swimmer Katelyn Jost glides swiftly yet rapidly across the pool.

Jost holds multiple school swim records, which haven’t just come to her by chance. Her 500-yard freestyle time of 4:52.97 and her 200-yard freestyle time of 1:51.33 are records at Coppell High School.

In November, Jost made the cut for the Speedo Winter Junior Championships after placing second at the Lakeside Aquatic Club Fall Classic for her 500-yard freestyle time of 4:52.97. She also committed to swim at the nationally acclaimed University of Kentucky, a testament to her work ethic.

Last week, Jost placed 16th in the Speedo Winter Junior Championships with her 500-yard freestyle time of 4:54.56 and placed 30th for her 200-yard freestyle time of 1:50.99.

Starting to swim competitively in seventh grade for Lakeside Aquatic Club, Jost initially got into the sport because her friends were part of the club. She found swimming engaging and challenging, with the hours she put in paying off in competition.

“I like the people, the training and being able to race and see my times improve,” Jost said.

Swimming is a demanding sport, requiring someone who is constantly trying to improve. It takes mental willpower, focus and tenacity, as well as physical strength and endurance.

Jost often makes the best of what others see as rough monotonous practices. Maintaining a positive mindset and pushing hard through each stroke, she presents an example of great discipline and determination every day she swims. Her attitude has made an impression on many of her teammates, who have recognized her unique drive.

“She knows that in order to do something, you have to put your mind and your heart to it,” junior swimmer Annie Chang said.

Her talent is also recognized by her coaches, who appreciate the progress she has made so far. Swim and dive assistant Lindsey Schultz was surprised to hear about Jost’s reputation when she first came to Coppell High School two years ago.

“She hadn’t swam as long as I thought that she had and she was already as good as she was,” Schultz said. “I was very impressed by her repertoire.” 

Swimming, although an individual sport, also has a large team component. Jost has greatly benefited from the support of her teammates and coaches. To keep progressively improving, she makes sure to take input from her coaches seriously and continuously pushes her limits. This mentality and her high standards allow her to thrive in Coppell swim.

“Even though swimming is an individual sport, you can still hear and see people cheering for you, and our team is always there for each other,” Jost said. “That just makes me want to go faster for them and for myself.” 

However, due to the standards she holds herself up to, Jost can also be too hard on herself. Her teammates and coaches have helped her garner motivation even on days she isn’t in her mind positive.

“They’ve always been there, even when I do bad, they always help me not be so hard on myself,” Jost said. “They just make it a lot more fun and it motivates me when my teammates do good.”

Moving forward, Jost aspires to reach even bigger dreams by competing in the NCAA swim championships and even qualifying for the 2028 Olympics.

“She is dedicated to the sport and does everything she can to get better at it,” Schultz said. 

Follow Yug (@YugTalukdar) and @CHSCampusNews on X.