Make a Child Smile benefits district students during holiday season

Neha Nathwani
Coppell Mayor Wes Mays illustrates the Coppell Municipal Court’s role in preserving public safety at the Coppell City Council meeting. Coppell City Council met Tuesday at Town Center.

On Tuesday night, the Coppell City Council discussed the public hearing for plans to improve the Lovett Coppell Business Park. 

The goal of the site of the Lovette Coppell Business Park is to enhance landscaping throughout the property and aims to include a walk-in trail around the central retention pond with an artistic fountain serving as a focal feature. The purpose of the conceptual plan is to establish a preliminary layout of circulation patterns to support the different phases of development. 

Council member Jim Walker closed the public hearing and moved to approve the Lovett Coppell Business Park request.

Planting trees and preserving nature is a goal that the Coppell City Council is striving to achieve. 

The city is currently exploring options to use more grout tolerant or heat resistant landscaping that can survive the severe conditions and not require too much water. 

Coppell city manager Mike Land reports that the duck pond project is on schedule and 75% complete in Fleet Park on South Belt Line.

“The final testing of the generator is going on this week,” Land said.

As the holidays draw near, the council directs citizens toward the special holiday program Make a Child Smile. This annual program benefits children and families in need residing within the Coppell city limits or attending Coppell ISD. Citizens can purchase gifts, clothing and toys for children to be delivered by city employees prior to Christmas. Selections for sponsorship can be made virtually through November 30 by visiting the program’s website

The city encourages all residents to shop at small businesses this holiday season to support local retailers and join the city of Coppell for a Small Business Saturday on Nov. 25

To highlight the city’s support of local businesses, residents who visit three or more small businesses in Coppell on Small Business Saturday and have submitted their receipts are entered to win a $200 prize. Receipts can be submitted in person at Town Center.

Talks about transportation and revenue arise as the council discusses the costs for transportation infrastructure. 

Follow @katiegpark and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter

X: @CityOfCoppell discussed topics regarding infrastructure improvements as well as plans for the upcoming holidays. Read @katiegpark’s column to learn more about the topics discussed during the council meeting on Tuesday night. #CoppellCandid