Tennis perseveres through tough matches, advances to regional semifinals

Avani Munji
Coppell senior Isaac Joseph returns during his doubles match with senior Riki Koshimizu against McKinney Boyd on Tuesday at the Coppell Tennis Center. Coppell faces Southlake Carroll on Thursday in the Class 6A Region I semifinals in Abilene.

After getting off to a rough start, winning two out of seven doubles matches, the Coppell tennis team was able to dominate the singles matches and pull through with a win. 

On Monday, the Coppell tennis team defeated Flower Mound, 11-6, in the Class 6A Region I area quarterfinals at Flower Mound High School. Coppell is set to face Souhtlake Carroll on Thursday in Abilene at 2 p.m. at the Class 6A Region I semifinals.  

According to Coppell coach Alyssa Noonan, taking five losses in doubles is uncharacteristic for the team based on past performance. However, seniors Riki Koshimizu and Isaac Joseph in boys doubles as well as junior Shay Patel and sophomore Rhea Guru in mixed doubles, were able to put two wins on the board. 

As the team transitioned into singles matches, the team’s morale rose, as the boys swept the matches 5-1 and the girls won four matches. 

“They showed up today and they put in the work even when times were really tough and there was a lot of pressure,” Noonan said. “They all rose to the occasion.”

After incurring a tough loss in her doubles match with sophomore teammate Gabby Rice, sophomore Lexie Patton pulled through with a 6-0, 6-0 win in her singles match. Patton could be heard above others, constantly cheering on her fellow teammates, and boosting team motivation and spirit.   

Joseph, in his singles match, was falling behind in a tie breaker, 6-2. Holding his opponent from claiming match point six times, he was able to secure the win, 8-6. 

Noonan said the emotion and energy was high during the matches, as players endured physical and mental challenges. 

“I was proud of how it didn’t matter how people started or what was going on at that moment,” Nooan said. “Everyone pushed through and played really hard tonight and that’s what we’re going to need to keep doing to be successful in this playoff run.”

Coppell travels to Abilene to play Southlake Carroll at 2 p.m. on Thursday. Noonan is looking to lead Coppell to its first appearance in the state tournament during the fall team season.

Follow Sukirtha (@suki_muthiah) and @CHSCampusNews on X.