Soccer captain Ozymy commits to serve

Tracy Tran

Coppell senior midfielder Maya Ozymy protects from Belton defenders during the scrimmage on Dec. 14, 2019 at Buddy Echols Field. Ozymy made a verbal commitment to Trinity University on Aug. 8. Sidekick file photo.

Joanne Kim, Staff Writer

When looking for a university to attend, Coppell senior midfielder Maya Ozymy was not looking for a school with the most academic prestige or the greatest athletic renown. She was looking for a place she could be of service.

“Of course, academics and athletics are both still really important to me,” Ozymy said. “But I’m more concerned about if I could actually see that I was leaving a lasting impact on the team. I want to be somewhere where I can see that I’m changing it for the better.”

That is why, despite receiving several offers from larger, more well known universities, Ozymy made a verbal commitment to Trinity University in San Antonio on Aug. 8, publicly announced the decision on Aug. 25 and is planning to sign the National Letter of Intent in November. 

However, it was not an easy decision.

“I hesitated a lot about if I even wanted to do soccer in college and about which university to go to,” Ozymy said. “I knew about the work it would take and there were just so many options available to me. But once I visited [Trinity], I could tell it was the right place for me, and ultimately, I knew soccer was something really important to my life and that it’s something I want to continue.”

Having played a variety of sports ranging from soccer to basketball to volleyball, Ozymy has had the value of teamwork instilled in her from a young age. And as captain of the soccer team, she worked hard to make sure everyone would feel like Coppell is their home.

“Last year, I was the only freshman on the varsity team,” sophomore left/right winger Saiya Patel said. “I really didn’t know anyone on the team at all, but Maya really looked out for me. She always helped me out when I needed it and practiced with me and was just a great team captain. I feel like even more than her soccer skills, [Trinity] recruited her because they could see that leadership in her.”

Ozymy’s leadership skills were on display in several matches, including last year’s match against Irving and the scoreless match against Flower Mound. According to Patel, she showed persistence and determination in the face of hardship. 

However, she did not do it alone. Even during her losses and most challenging moments, she had a team of supporters.

“[Coppell High School Principal Laura Springer] is actually probably one of the biggest sources of support in my athletic career. She always took the time to come see our matches, even when the weather was terrible because that’s usually how it is during soccer season,” Ozymy said. “Having her support and seeing her at our games just really meant a lot to me. She’s just been such a positive force in my life and seeing her at our games, cheering us on, is something I’ll always be grateful for.”

Ozymy’s family has also been a big source of encouragement. She grew up in a soccer family, with her father, Derek Ozymy, playing soccer in Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls and her younger sister, Coppell freshman midfielder and forward Sadie Ozymy, currently playing on the JV team.

“She had a big decision to make and had lots of options from a variety of schools from [Division I] to [Division II] to [Division III]. Our goal was never to see her get a full scholarship and play soccer somewhere, it was to see her evolve as a genuine human being,” Mr. Ozymy said. “I’m really proud because she wasn’t short-sighted by bigger schools. She turned those offers down and instead chose the right fit for her personally. Because at the end of the day, it’s her journey, her experience. This was her call entirely, and I support it 100 percent.

Follow Joanne (@joan_kimm) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.