Cowgirls softball advances in playoffs

by Blake Seitz

Sports Editor

Last Saturday, the nationally-ranked Coppell softball team took on Keller Fossil Ridge in the first round of playoffs at Byron Nelson High School. The Cowgirls won the matchup 10-0.

Despite the easy victory, the Cowgirls took little for granted during the game. They came out determined to improve their hitting, which has been hot and cold all season long.

“We had to step it up at the plate,” senior infielder Peyton Moseley said. “We needed to play as a team and win as a team.”

This goal was especially difficult because Keller’s pitcher sent a few new looks their way.

“We really had to adjust to their different pitching,” Moseley said.

The Cowgirls made the necessary adjustments quickly, though, and ran away with the ballgame.

Senior shortstop Marisa Malazzo, a signee with the University of Kansas, was an especially potent offensive weapon for the Cowgirls. Malazzo was 3-for-4 at the plate; she had an inside-the-park homerun and four RBIs to her credit on the night.

Coppell’s defense—its best asset on the season—was also on display. Senior pitcher Laura Ramos, herself a signee at the University of Texas at El Paso, struck out eight and only allowed two hits on the night, none for scores.

“Laura Ramos and [senior] Rachel Forshaw did a great job as a pitcher-catcher combo,” head softball coach Katie Krug said.

The Cowgirls, ranked second in the state, will advance to the second round of play against Plano High School. The game will be played May 8.