North Lake developments cause concern

Rebecca Neumann

Overcrowding proves to be an issue at Coppell High School as students make their way to classes during passing period. Photo by Frances Ruiz.

The North Lake issue in Coppell has puzzled citizens since 2004 and caused several lawsuits. Now, with Billingsley Company about to break ground on Cypress Waters Development, the construction is becoming a reality.

Although the biggest complaints about the North Lake issue has to do with the distribution of taxes, many voice concerns over the possible overcrowding ramifications at CISD campuses, the years to come. Principal Brad Hunt says this is probable, but that it will not be an issue for several more years. Right now, he says, most of the people moving into the patio homes and single family dwellings will not be of high school age.

“Eventually it will affect every campus because we’ll have to build up more schools [in the North Lake area],” Hunt said. “But that’s when they’ll have to make a decision as to whether or not we add a third high school.”

Even with a second high school with New Tech High@Coppell, it is smaller and will not relieve the overcrowding issue completely once the North Lake area is populated. Only another big high school like Coppell High School would accommodate the eventual student population increase. However, he says, that will not be a problem for a while.

“I don’t think that will be an issue for at least two to three years because they still have to figure out what they’re going to do with the power plant,” Hunt said. “Then they have to put the plumbing in and sewage and electricity and there are a lot of people who are concerned about living on property that had previously been part of a power plant. They have to do some environmental testing to make certain of the land’s safety and that could take some time.”

Junior Benjamin Huang cannot imagine CHS being more crowded than it already is.

“Even with New Tech taking away a few hundred students,” Huang said. “It still feels like there isn’t much room in the main halls during passing periods”

Economics teacher Ward Flora disagrees.
Flora says compared to many other schools, Coppell could be considered spacious.

“My wife teaches at Carroll ISD,” Flora said. “And her average class size is 28 to30 [students]. That’s not my average class size. This school district, in my opinion, has made a commitment to lower density. I’m new to the district but apparently we’ve had a commitment for some time to keep classes sizes small. Get on a subway in New York City and you’ll find crowded. [CHS] isn’t crowded in comparison.”