The Last Song hits all the right notes on love and family

Frances Ruiz

Liam Hemsworth, right, and Miley Cyrus star in "The Last Song." (Sam Emerson/Courtesy Touchstone Pictures/MCT.

Capturing the deeply melodic, undeniably powerful and overwhelmingly raw emotions associated with first loves, The Last Song is a romantically profound story that personifies the importance of forgiveness, friendship and family.

Beginning with a perilous blaze, the viewer is immediately submerged within the film as an unconscious man is rescued from a burning building. As the last of the glowing embers dim, viewer attention is then directed to a sulking, teenage girl driving with what appears to be her family.

Rebellious and bright in nature, Ronnie Miller (Miley Cyrus) is less than thrilled at the idea of spending a summer in Georgia, while leaving the fast-paced city of New York behind. Having once shared a passion for music and playing the piano, Ronnie has since given up her musical talents as well as the love, admiration and trust she once had in her former teacher and father, Steve (Greg Kinnear), with whom she will be staying.

After settling in, Ronnie avoids her father by traveling to the greater parts of town and ultimately meets Will (Liam Hemsworth), a volleyball player that crashes into her during an outdoor match, and Blaze (Carly Chaikin), a troubled girl with no regard for the law. Thinking either acquaintance won’t be seen again, Ronnie is thoroughly surprised when Blaze maliciously and cold-heartedly attempts to have her arrested, and when the charismatic Will helps to protect a nest of sea turtles.

As the film continues to progress, Ronnie not only experiences love for the first time as she gives her heart to Will and devotes her summer to him, but develops an unforeseen relationship with her father. Just as everything seems to be working in Ronnie’s favor, however, she is faced with life altering decisions, forced to overcome sources of deception and betrayal and must find the strength to play one last song.

Unlike most films broaching the subject of teen romance, The Last Song is a powerful performance that further advances and illuminates the shocking – as well as heart-wrenching – story line written by Nicholas Sparks. Flawlessly assuming the role of Steve Miller, Kinnear not only tackles the character and makes it his own but remains true to the father figure depicted within the novel and envisioned by readers.

While most viewers would be quick to doubt Cyrus’ acting capabilities and her range of emotion, this film proves to be her breakout role into the world of serious acting. By completely shedding the sweet, comedic persona seen time and time again in her work with Disney, Cyrus embodies the volatile, brooding personality of Ronnie Miller to a noteworthy degree. Not only does her surprisingly well-executed performance grab the attention of viewers, but the chemistry between Cyrus and Hemsworth does as well. While most young actors appear to be awkward and uncomfortable with intimate scenes, both seemed as though they were truly each other’s first love.

Although the film positively showcased its actors’ abilities, it lacked several details vital to the original story. As with most feature films, audience members that read the book will surely find the end result disappointing in some way. While the movie could be deemed an overall success when representing the novel, it did not cover some of the most shocking and pivotal points developed by Sparks and found within the original text. Not only were scenes such as the wedding, mud fight and sea turtles hatching shot completely different from the novel’s depiction, but the inclusion of Will’s sister, the signature purple streak in Ronnie’s hair and Ronnie’s eventual court hearing were left out entirely.

However, the film is still one of the most inspiring romantic films to be produced within recent years. The Last Song captures the essence of discovering and experiencing the joys, frustrations and excitements associated with first loves, as well as the meaning behind family and importance of forgiveness.