“Date Night” movie review

By Rebecca Fowler

Steve Carrell and Tina Fey.  Two of the best comedians on television in one movie.  What could be better, right?

Actually, a lot.

Date Night, featuring the stars of NBC’s “The Office” and “30 Rock,” hit theaters April 9 after much excited anticipation from fans.  The film finished No. 1 at the box-office on its opening day, beating Clash of the Titans in its second weekend as well as DreamWorks’ How to Train your Dragon in its third. 

But it will most-likely only be downhill from there.

The film’s poorly-advertised plot centers around an average suburban couple who, while out on their weekly “date night,” find themselves mixed up in a dangerous situation as they are mistaken for the Triplehorns—a couple holding a flash drive the illusive crime boss in Manhattan, Mr. Miletto, is after.

Phil (Carrell) and Claire (Fey) Foster, as one would expect, spend the majority of the film evading the stereotypical “bad guys” while simultaneously trying to figure out why the Triplehorns are being hunted.  The movie, though considered a romantic-comedy, would almost be better classified as an action-comedy, as Date Night is made up of roughly 80 percent running and 20 percent humor.

There’s a lot of action, and it’s not backed by the cartoon it’ll-all-be-OK music, either.  Oftentimes, stressful, scary music plays in the midst of what is meant to be a humorous scene, taking away from the jokes and adding to the real drama of the moment.

That’s not to say the film isn’t funny, however.  With Carrell and Fey, crude humor is an obvious component, with four or five belly-laugh scenes and other chuckle ones strewn throughout.  The two actors work well together and make the most of what they are given, but the truth is, they are not given much.  The script is pretty mediocre.

During many scenes, it is evident the viewers are almost forcing themselves to laugh out of obligation, because they feel like they should.  Come on, it’s Steve Carrell and Tina Fey.  How can anything coming out of their mouths not be hilarious, right?

Honestly, it is often confusing as to what is coming out of their mouths at all.  Aside from the complicated and dragged-out plot, Date Night also switches from sweet and sentimental to comedic to stressful in a matter of minutes, making it difficult to keep up with the mood.  For example, one would not deem it appropriate to pull over during a speedy getaway for a deep conversation about martial issues, but that is just what the Fosters do.  And it is rather out of place.

All-in-all, Date Night is quite unimpressive in comparison to Carrell and Fey’s other performances.  Sure, it is a cute, predictable and occasionally laugh-out-loud film with a few quotable lines—maybe worth the matinee or Dollar Theater price—but it is definitely not up to its potential.