District track meet today

Photos by Tyler Morris

By Nathan Reck

The track season is winding down with the District 6-5A Meet meaning that for many athletes the season is nearing its end, but for a select few district is only the first step as they set their sights on the regional and then possibly state meets.

The team has seen five school records broken over the season. Anna Goldblatt set the pole vault record at a height of 11’0” and freshman Cassidy Pickrell tied the high jump record that had been set in 1993 and again in 2003 at 5’4”. Senior Jake Wohlford broke his own record for the 110 meter hurdles with a time of 14.03 seconds. The boys team consisting of seniors Tal Kinser, Jake Wohlford, John Frnka and Colton Reese and girls team of sophomore Kaleigh Ervin, juniors Elizabeth Kerpon and Kim Kirby and senior Shaylee Zaugg both set school records in the distance relays at the Texas Relays.

Wohlford and Kirby both already held school records coming into the season as Wolford held both the 110 and 300 meter hurdles records and Kirby held the girls 800 and 1600 meter records.

As the teams prepare for the district meet on April 14 15 at Coppell High School, they held their unofficial tri-meet along with Wylie and Highland Park.

“The tri-meet is used as a practice for district,” boys coach Don Kemp said. “There are no points or scoring so it is just a way to let everyone get in one more race a week before the district meet.”

Both teams are feeling good as the district races start.

“For the guys Lewisville will win and Southlake [Carroll] will most likely take second,” Kemp said.

The girls team feels it has slightly better chances going into Wednesday’s prelims.

“Our girls team might actually win overall,” Kirby said. “The 4 by 4 relay team can advance, Elizabeth Kerpon should win the open 400 and Anna Goldblatt should advance in the pole vault.”

With the meet on home turf the coaches are feeling confident.

“It is to our advantage to be at home because the runners are comfortable with the track and while more has to be done in terms of preparing for the meet they know where everything is and don’t have to spend time figuring out how things are going to work,” girls coach Roxanne Farris said.