The Black Eyed Peas come to Dallas

Rebecca Neumann

The Black Eyed Peas have dished out some pretty incredible chart-topping singles, but could they also be amazing live performers? The answer, as I learned at their American Airlines concert on Mar. 19, is an over-whelming ‘yes’.

I arrived about an hour before the concert began and was surprised to see the parking lot mostly empty, concession lines short and the majority of the stadium seats vacant. By the time Ludacris, the opening act, took the stage, the stadium was only about half filled, though he made the most of the audience and put on a decent show with his hit “Moneymaker”.

However, between the two performances a rush of people filed in and before Fergie and friends could take the stage, the place was packed. And by packed, I mean completely filled and sold out. My fears about a lack-luster crowd were completely forgotten as the lights dimmed and the audience roared in excitement.

The Peas took the stage as a group first with Apl.De.Ap, Taboo, Fergie and Will.i.am all singing a very fitting “Let’s Get It Started”, then each took turns singing their individual songs, showcasing unique talents. Taboo rode up to stage on a Tron-like motorcycle that hovered above the crowd as he performed. Needless to say, it was awesome.

Fergie’s performance included “Big Girls Don’t Cry” and “Glamorous” from her popular solo album The Duchess. The audience sang along to both. Will.i.am came out for his solo dressed like Iron Man and entertained the stadium with his wise-cracks as well as his musical talent.

What really pushed the concert ahead of the other concerts I’ve attended was the personality the group displayed. They constantly praised the audience for their participation and Taboo even said that Houston had nothing on Dallas. Cheesy though it was, it added authenticity to the whole performance.

Later, Will.i.am introduced one of his guitarists, George Pajon Jr., who wore a Tony Romo jersey. Will.i.am said that Pajon wore the jersey to every city where group performed and was booed across America for his loyalty to the Cowboys. This earned the guitarist a lot of applause from the crowd of Texans and the story became one of the many highlights of the evening.  

Towards the end of the evening, the audience really got into all of the songs and when the show ended, everyone clapped loudly enough to provoke an encore, which included the new chart-topping singles “Boom Boom Pow” and “I’ve Got a Feelin’”.

As the hurricane of people shuffled out of the stadium, you could hear each of them humming along to their favorite hit. The lines to buy t-shirts and other merchandise to commemorate the evening stretched endlessly and made me thankful I had already bought one.

All in all, I could not have imagined a more entertaining concert. I don’t mean to put a damper on the American Idol Live concerts I’ve attended, but really, there was no comparison between the two. I know I’ll never forget that wonderful Friday night in American Airlines Center hosted by the Black Eyed Peas.

1