Coppell baseball tops Marcus in offensive showdown

by Blake Seitz

Sports Editor

Last night, the Coppell baseball team traveled to Flower Mound to take on Flower Mound Marcus for its third district game of the season. It came out on top 10-6 after an offensive slugfest.

Both sides came out firing in the first inning, as a bomb by Coppell’s Tyler Hernandez and strong batting from others brought in three runs. Marcus responded with four scores of its own.

After that, however, it was a one-sided battle, as Coppell pitcher Sam Swinton shut down the Marauder offense.

“Sam was a warrior the entire game,” head baseball coach Don English said. “Out of all seven innings, he only gave up eight hits.”

Coppell fared much better at the plate, with eight of the rotation’s nine batters bringing in scores. Coppell’s Adam Toth was four for five at the bat with three RBIs; Coppell’s Kiefer Smith went three for four.

The win over Marcus puts Coppell’s district record at 2-1 so far, 11-8 on the year. Coppell has won five of its last six games.

The Cowboy’s next game is at home against Lewisville on Friday, March 26. The game will be at 7:00 p.m.