Tennis expects challenge in key district match

Disha Kohli

Coppell senior Sydney Nguyen returns a shot during practice earlier this season. The tennis team is facing Marcus tomorrow with their finalized doubles lineup, and is expecting a challenging match.

Pramika Kadari, Copy Editor

After defeating several teams that did not give them much of a challenge, the Coppell High School tennis players are excited to play Marcus tomorrow, a team they have not always won against.

“I’m really excited about playing them,” CHS senior girls captain Suzuka Nishino said. “Some of the teams in our district are not as experienced, but this is a team where the players are of similar level to us, so it’ll be a really interesting match.”

The match starts at 4 p.m. and takes place on Coppell’s home courts.

Overall, the team has had a strong season, with only two losses and a 3-0 record in district. The upcoming match plays an important role in its regional seeding.

“This is one of the most important matches for district,” Nishino said. “If we finish first in our district, we have it easier at region. So a possible qualification for state really rests on how we do [tomorrow].”

Throughout their season so far, the team has been experimenting with different doubles combinations. Now, it is finally finalizing its lineup, and is looking forward to using it tomorrow.

“Practicing with the same doubles partner over and over again, that’s strengthened our play, and I really like the combinations we have right now personally,” Nishino said. “If we can do really well in doubles, we have a lot less pressure during singles.”

Although the players know the importance of winning tomorrow’s match, players think staying calm is important.

“There are a lot of people, there’s a lot of cheering, and they’re one of the best teams in the district, so you feel a lot pressure,” CHS junior Mihiro Suzuki said. “But definitely you should try to be relaxed.”

The players could use any support possible from their fellow students as they strive to accomplish that goal.

“If we can have supporters at our match [tomorrow], that would be a big help,” Nishino said.