Cramming replaces learning

We all do it.

Instead of learning the material needed to be successful, we pull all-nighters, drink packs of red bull and take an unhealthy amount of five hour energy to cram the information we should be retaining. It’s a dangerous game that almost every student is willing to play in order to make the grade.

Obtaining knowledge? Please. Since when do students actually focus on learning course material? It’s almost a myth running rampant through the halls of CHS that students actually pay attention in class and learn what is  instructed.

And from these questions, another question arises: can you blame us?

With a number of honor society meetings, sports practices, student club meetings, SAT and ACT classes and volunteer work, its no wonder why students resort to such measures. With hardly any time to enjoy ourselves and be the kids we still are, there’s certainly not enough time to thoroughly understand what’s being taught to us.

So what’s next? How do we fix such a widespread problem?

I’m not entirely sure. But I do know that its going to take a lot of change from both school systems and students everywhere.

Colleges and high schools need to stop placing so much emphasis on what a student’s grade is for the class or what their class rank and GPA is, but rather what students are getting out of the course and what they’re learning. Students aren’t taking letter grades with them to college, they’re taking the knowledge from high school courses that may or may not be there.

Students on the other hand have to be willing to learn. School should be a place where we can ask questions, gain undertsanding and actually learn something new.

While the battle between learning and cramming continues on, high hopes are placed on the students of the future.