Stellar season comes to disappointing end in Waco thriller

The+Coppell+High+School+football+team+played+Cedar+Ridge+on+Saturday+night+at+McLane+Stadium+for+the+Regional+Semi-Finals.+The+Cowboys+fell+to+the+Raiders+35-34+in+overtime+to+end+their+2017+season.+

Ale Ceniceros

The Coppell High School football team played Cedar Ridge on Saturday night at McLane Stadium for the Regional Semi-Finals. The Cowboys fell to the Raiders 35-34 in overtime to end their 2017 season.

Nicholas Pranske, Staff Writer

WACO – Much like the 2017 Coppell football season, Saturday’s playoff game with Round Rock Cedar Ridge was filled with excitement as the Cowboys displayed their resolve and grit.

Unfortunately for Coppell players, coaches and fans, the quest for a Class 6A state title came to an end.

The Cowboys were unable to convert the point after attempt in overtime of a 35-34 defeat to Round Rock Cedar Ridge on Saturday at McLane Stadium in the Class 6A Division I regional semifinals. Coppell ends its season at 11-2.

At the half, the Cowboys (11-2) had the upper hand after two touchdowns by junior running back Ryan Hirt, followed by a score on a keeper by senior quarterback Brady McBride. Coppell led, 21-14, at half.

However, by the end of regulation, the Raiders (12-1) had tied the score at 28. Coppell just missed a game-winning 52-yard field goal attempt on the Cowboys final possession of regulation, sending the game to overtime.

On a trick play, Raiders quarterback, Ezekiel Coss, caught the snap, tossed it to his running back and went out on a route of his own. Coss caught it five yards from the end zone and ran it in himself to give Cedar Ridge a touchdown lead in overtime.

When the Cowboys got their OT possession, Coppell fans on the west side of McLane Stadium went quiet. Cedar Ridge fans were still cheering on the opposite side. After a reception by junior Jonathan McGill, followed by a handoff to McGill and another to Hirt, Coppell found itself at the two. 

McBride scored from two yards out to give Coppell at touchdown in OT. However, Coppell could not extend the game to a second overtime by not converting the PAT. But as emotional Coppell players and coaches hugged one anther, they began to remember the positive experiences this season.

“As an offense, every week we got better… overall, from the beginning of the season, a lot of good things have happened. We won a lot of games and the ones that we lost, we were contenders in,” Coppell assistant Nate Blackwell said.

Senior wide receiver Gabe Lemons decided to look back on the improvement of the Cowboys football team holistically.

“We had a really young team this year. Many of our players have never played a varsity snap prior to this year so at the beginning of this year, they had a lot to learn,” said Lemons, who is orally committed to Oklahoma State.“As the year progressed, everyone began to really master their position and started to play as one unit instead of 11 individuals.”