Mexican students see positives coming from Pope Francis’ trip to Mexico

TNS

Pope Francis arrives for afternoon mass in Juarez, Mexico, on Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2016. (Max Faulkner/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/TNS)

Although far from the thousands of people who gather to catch a glimpse of Pope Francis on his trip to Mexico, Mexican students at Coppell High School feel the impact of his visit as well.

Ever since his rise to the head of the Catholic Church, the Argentine pontiff has made Latin American Catholics overjoyed to have a pope who shares similar cultural roots as them. Being the first pope from the Americas, makes his visit so much more meaningful to Mexican citizens who lined the streets of Mexican cities this week to greet him on his trip.

Though not in his direct presence, students at CHS still feel that excitement and receive the pope’s message on his trip.

“I personally look up to the pope a lot, and my whole family really admires him for what he stands for,” CHS junior Eva Gamboa said. “I know he wants to spread his message of peace and cooperation, and his trip will definitely inspire not only Mexico but the world.”

Other Mexican Catholic students in Coppell, such as CHS sophomore Eder Garcia, think his visit had the power to transform people’s characters as well.

“Having a bigger representative of God might change [Mexican citizens] and make them better people,” Garcia said.

Students also see the power the pope has to connect people as he can reach them on a spiritual level. Having lived in Mexico, and visiting family there often, CHS sophomore Cristina Gonzalez feels that the pope’s visit was especially meaningful to Mexican citizens, since many of them are Catholic.

“Religion can unify a lot of people,” Gonzalez said. “In Mexico most of the population is Christian so they can see what a good example Pope Francis is and follow a Christian life.”

Pope Francis departed from Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua Wednesday night leaving a profound influence felt by even those across the border.