2010 Winter Percussion Showcase this Saturday

Tomorrow, Jan. 30, the Coppell High School drum line will be performing their winter showcase entitled “Oddity”.

The concert is free and will feature a number of pieces that members can only describe as, well, “odd”.

“It’s different kind of concert,” senior Grayson Akerly said. “There’s going be odd instruments and normal instruments used in odd way. It’s going to show people a funny side to percussion ensembles.”

This is the second year the winter showcase will be held, and for those who attended last year, expect to see something different.

According to an advertisement announced during the Red jacket announcements, there will be a gorilla banging a gong during one of the pieces.

“I don’t know [who the gorilla is],” Akerly said. “I’m sure it’s going to be one the high school students, but no one knows who it is.”

Over 80 students from the Coppell middle schools and high school will be performing pieces tomorrow evening at 7 in the CHS auditorium, including a variety of ensembles as well as individual performances. Donations will be accepted to go toward the purchase of new and the repair of old instruments for the CISD percussion program.

“This concert is a really great way to showcase percussion in a different kind of light,” Akerly said. “It’s way more fun than last year.”