iPad: Now or later?

By Mike Pankonien

It happened. Yesterday, Apple finally officially announced their latest product: the iPad. Essentially a 9 inch by 8 inch iPod touch, the iPad is being sold as a computer that’s something more than a smart phone, but slightly less than a laptop. Although hardly a new concept, the iPad created quite a buzz in the realm of tablet computers and apple fans alike.

What do you get with the iPad? Essentially a computer with a 1 Ghz processor, a selection between a 16 GB, 32 GB, or 64 GB hardrive, 10 hour battery life, a complete touch interface, and iPhone software. All for the price of $499 (with the 16 GB option). Also, the iPad will be capable of picking up wifi and will come with a 3G option for those willing to shell out $15-$30 to AT&T. The iPad will also be capable of running all the apps already on the app store (including all those apps you’ve already bought for your precious iPhone or iTouch) and will include a new store, the iBookstore. This will allow the user to buy and download books straight to their iPad (take that, Kindle).

So should you get the iPad? YES…eventually. Although I’ve been really excited for the iPad for awhile now (back in the good old days when everyone thought it’d be the iSlate), I’m kinda dissapointed in it’s presentation. At the moment, it’s simply (and I’m sure you’ve heard this before) a giant iTouch. Literally. When they announced that it was loaded with iPhone software, my gut took a hit; they’ve got all this power and they only put on iPhone firmware? Oh, sure it’s a modded version of iPhone firmware, but still that’s just weak. If apple pushes the iPad in a more computerish direction, then I WILL SO BE THERE. But till then, I’m gonna let the apple fanboy’s buy ’em all up so I can sneak in and grab it for a discount.

Not enough laptop or too much smartphone?