Hockey team strives for playoffs

By Amanda Peck

With the end of their season approaching, the Coppell hockey team is playing their last district games in high hopes of not only qualifying for playoffs, but advancing as possible. The Cowboys season ends March 4.

The team has played and defeated its biggest rivals, including Jesuit, Frisco, Plano Sr. and Southlake Carroll, at least one time so far this season.  The team holds a 10-4 record, with its four losses being against Frisco, Southlake Carroll, Plano West and Plano Sr. They came back to defeat each of these teams when they played them for a second time.

“Though we have four losses, we redeemed ourselves and won when we played each of the teams we lost to again,” senior assistant captain Brandon Harley said. “Even though losses are losses, it makes me feel better to know that we didn’t lose to any team twice.”

The next few games the Cowboys are scheduled to play are against teams they have played at least once before, such as Southlake Carroll and Plano West.

“It is crucial for us to win our next few games, especially the ones against Southlake Carroll and Plano West since we have lost to them before,” senior captain Charlie Busch said. “We are hoping to not only make it into the playoffs, but to advance as far as possible in them. We have had an amazing season so far and we want to keep it up and go as far as we can.”

Though the team is hoping to earn a spot in playoffs, they are very pleased with what they have accomplished so far this season.

“Not only are the team and I very proud of our record and how well we have been playing, we are pleased with the fact that we have defeated all of our biggest rivals at least once,” Busch said. “Jesuit is and always will be our biggest rival and it shows by how many fans come out when we play them, and we beat them both times we played them this year, which is another thing we are proud of.”

The Cowboy’s fans and coaches are also very proud and excited about how far the team has come and how much they have accomplished this year from winning the Summer Championship to defeating the their biggest rivals throughout the season.

“I’m very pleased with the team chemistry this year,” assistant coach Brian Harley said. “This is perhaps the most talented team skill-wise we have had in the past few years. I’m looking forward to watching the team develop and push toward the state championship.”