Annual bingo, more than a fundraiser

By Farah Merchant

Prizes, food, friends and bingo was what Coppell High School was all about on Friday during the annual cheer bingo fundraiser in the campus commons.

The night kicked off with rounds of bingo, each followed by a raffle. There were an arrangement of prizes ranging from coupons to Tea to Go to a GoPro.

Coppell Middle School North seventh grader Shelby Shultz plays to win 50 dollars at the Coppell High School cheer bingo event in the CHS commons. on Oct. 9. This was the 20th annual cheer bingo event hosted by the CHS cheerleaders.

After each round, the atmosphere was amid with competition. People concentrated on their cards in hopes of getting a bingo and winning cash. Throughout each of these rounds the cheerleaders were smiling and chatting with their friends while they were serving pizza.

“I like cheer a lot, I think it’s kind of fun how we get to be kind of included in other sports more than just cheer itself,” CHS freshman cheerleader Saige Culler said. “We get to learn about football and basketball and it’s a really fun sport.”

The CHS cafeteria was transformed into a rustic setting packed not only with a massive crowd, but also with bandanas of school colors embellishing each table. There was soda, pizza, goodies and shirts people could buy at every corner. The whole place was organized with a tireless effort.

“We’ve been working on it a lot, for months actually,” CHS cheerleader mom Allison Flynn said. “The amount of work done is unimaginable.”

Not only were there students and friends at the event, but others were invited by the cheerleaders who had to sell raffle tickets.

“I invited some of my previous teachers from middle school and elementary school and some family friends,” CHS freshman cheerleader Saige Culler said.

Though there was no school on Friday, Cheer Bingo was attended by many. The games finished quickly with prizes being awarded and frustration being drawn out when it wasn’t one’s lucky number.

The annual event which has been ongoing for 20 years was a fun experience for many.